Green, Va and turbulence

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Re: Green, Va and turbulence

Post by dmloftus »

I posted a topic last week about similar challenges flying to Vegas from Atlanta

viewtopic.php?p=91702#p91702

In my case, I had to get up to 12,500 to get anything less than moderate to severe over west Texas, NM, AZ. At that altitude, the desert thermals still produce huge swings in altitude & airspeed, sometimes pushing well into the yellow, sometimes dropping below 80 kts, even in pitch mode. And the IO360 is only at about 45% power that high. At the lower altitudes, the turbulence was so bad that the GFC700 was repeatedly throwing AFCS errors and disconnecting (see related post above). Early morning is the best solution I can come up with.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Re: Green, Va and turbulence

Post by photoSteveZ »

dmloftus wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:10 pm I posted a topic last week about similar challenges flying to Vegas from Atlanta

viewtopic.php?p=91702#p91702

In my case, I had to get up to 12,500 to get anything less than moderate to severe over west Texas, NM, AZ. At that altitude, the desert thermals still produce huge swings in altitude & airspeed, sometimes pushing well into the yellow, sometimes dropping below 80 kts, even in pitch mode. And the IO360 is only at about 45% power that high. At the lower altitudes, the turbulence was so bad that the GFC700 was repeatedly throwing AFCS errors and disconnecting (see related post above). Early morning is the best solution I can come up with.
Those of us who live in the mountain West plan our summer flying to launch at oh-dark-thirty and arrive in time for a late breakfast. ;)