ICAO Equipment, Surveillance, PBN for G1000 NXI

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

haykinson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ilya
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N724LA
Airports: KSMO

Re: ICAO Equipment, Surveillance, PBN for G1000 NXI

Post by haykinson »

There is also this document from the FAA that defines the ICAO equipment codes:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/he ... itions.pdf
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingram
Aircraft Registration: N238PS
Airports: KBOW

Post by ingramleedy »

I thought I'd update this post with more accurate details. As ATC has more automation with IFR filed flights, these fields may be more and more important. Please make any suggestions or comments.

ForeFlight, Garmin, lots of good YouTube videos, and FAA resources on the subject. It's quite heavy subject as lots of acronyms and details specific to your aircraft. I sorted thru a lot of this and felt it was important to share as I just wanted someone to tell me what to put in the fields.

DISCLAIMER: These settings are what I am using for a 2023 DA40 NG G1000 NXI with ADS-B out transponders (GTX345R) in the US and to help you learn more and understand what you may want to use.

ICAO Equipment (Field 10a): B, G, R, S, Z
ICAO Surveillance (Field 10b): B2, E
ICAO PBN (Field 18 Code PBN): A1, B2, C2, D2, L1, S2

Other Items (Field 18 codes):
  • CODE/<YOUR HEX CODE>
  • NAV/SBAS
  • PER/A
  • SUR/260B
FF ICAO 10A 10B PBN FIELDS FILING.PNG
FF ICAO FIELD 18 OTHER FILING.PNG
  • This screenshot shows the details of the "Other Information" field (ICAO Field 18) Foreflight will also auto populate many of the other fields for you. I recommend reading more about ForeFlight ICAO flight plans documentation and support resources.
  • PLEASE NOTE THE CODE field, this is where you will use your own transponder hex code.You will need your transponder hex code (base 16) that is associated with your aircraft registration. See details below good support article on how to look it up.
  • CODE is the assigned hexadecimal value found in the FAA registry. It is uniquely associated with the registration value (N number) and is always broadcast by ADS-B Out systems. By including it, the FAA association between your flight plan and your ADS-B Out is optimized. This also reduces transponder code reassignment when you fly near another aircraft with the same transponder code having been assigned.
From ForeFlight - https://support.foreflight.com/hc/en-us ... ght-plans-

How do I enter a 16 hex number on the ICAO flight plans?
The flight plan field CODE is in Other Information, that specifies the 6 hexadecimal character value assigned to your mode-S transponder. The value is directly related to your registration number, and you can find it in the FAA Aircraft Registry or Canadian Civil Aircraft Registry records for your aircraft.

FAA Aircraft Registry

For the FAA Aircraft Registry, click on the link above. Search the registry using the aircraft’s registration number, and find the Mode S Code (base 16 / hex) field located under the Aircraft Description section.

Canadian Civil Aircraft Registry

For the Canadian Civil Aircraft Registry, click on the link above. Search the registry using the aircraft’s registration number and find the Mode-S Code (base 16 / hex) field located under the 24 Bit Address: section.

To enter the transponder hex code for your aircraft into an ICAO flight plan, please do the following:

Go to More > Aircraft and tap on the Aircraft Profile.
Scroll down to the FILING section and tap Other Information.
Enter the HEX code for that aircraft in the CODE field.
Now, when you file a flight plan using that aircraft profile, the Hex code will be included.
Here is an example ICAO flight plan, you can see where in this case ForeFlight filled out all the details, Field 10 and 18 and is suppose to help with filing automation and capability of what approaches and routes you can use.
ICAO Flight Plan Example (Medium).png
Last edited by ingramleedy on Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Thanks for the references. The amount of time I've sunk into trying to get these codes correct is eye-watering.

A couple of comments/questions:
  • You have D2 listed under PBN on the screenshot, but not the post text. I believe it should be included.
  • I have O2 listed under my PBN based on earlier searches, but you took it out. Can you clarify this one?
  • Thanks for the pointer on including Z and the related OTHER fields. I was missing this.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by ingramleedy »

Chris wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:35 pm Thanks for the references. The amount of time I've sunk into trying to get these codes correct is eye-watering.

A couple of comments/questions:
  • You have D2 listed under PBN on the screenshot, but not the post text. I believe it should be included.
  • I have O2 listed under my PBN based on earlier searches, but you took it out. Can you clarify this one?
  • Thanks for the pointer on including Z and the related OTHER fields. I was missing this.
  • Thanks! I corrected the typo of the missing D2 (RNAV 1 GNSS), yes it should be included so you can fly RNAV SIDs and STARs.
  • O2 is for RNP 1 (ODP/SID/STAR) Terminal Operations. GPS is required for RNP 1 procedures in U.S.
    I am not sure exactly why its not supported by Diamond, as documented by the Supplement A33, Integrated Avionics System Garmin G1000, SBAS and P-RNAV Operation http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... A33-r6.pdf See screenshot of the detail:
    Garmin G1000 SBAS Operation Suppliment A33 (Medium).png
    My guess that RNP is not common in the US for GA and usually requires authorization and reserved higher level of RNAV (commerical flights international) Maybe someone has better understanding of this and can explain the reasoning, seem like the equipment should support it whether we use it or not.

For now, I am going to use what Diamond has documented in the referenced supplemental.
  • An interesting note, PBN is limited to 8 items, and I think the ICAO has finalized the codes here, so the OTHER field (Field 18) is where all the newer stuff might be going. However, I am not sure how important these fields are right now and if it really matters, but I think the automation uses these and will use all these codes more and more. I just wanted to understand more about it and why.
    Also See ForeFlight video ICAO made easy has great details on all the codes and meaning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i5h_A0Ygtk
  • AN UPDATE TO ICAO PBN A1 (RNAV 10/RNP 10) - This is used for Oceanic airspace. To fly in much of the Oceanic airspace between FL285 and FL420.

Please remove A1 unless your have have a Letter of Authorization (LOA) from the FSDO to use. You should not have this in the ICAO Equipment list unless authorized.[/b] The equipment is capable but the operator must be authorized.
    So the corrected PBN is:
    ICAO PBN (Field 18 Code PBN): B2, C2, D2, L1, S2
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by ingramleedy »

Good reference to the RNAV PBM codes:
RNAV CAP (Medium).png
And to follow up on the RNP (higher level of RNAV, but not used in the US much). Aircraft may have capability but authorization is usually required for the specific procedure. You would also have to file for these approaches to use them.

ATC does no special handing or assignment based on PBNs, but if you file these you will need the codes for automation along with any special authorizations.
RNP (Medium).png
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

I believe S1 is correct value for PBN. Also, you don’t need L1 because it’s for RNP4 - oceanic. You can leave C2 - RNAV2 (en route continental, arrival and departure) but it’s unnecessary if you put D2 - RNAV1 covering same and more.

And you miss Y - VHF 8.33 kHz spacing.

PBN: B2, D2, O2, S1 is correct setup.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

ememic99 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:01 pm And you miss Y - VHF 8.33 kHz spacing.
I have 8.33 kHz spacing disabled via the menus since the US uses 25 kHz spacing. So I've left it off the ICAO list. If I ever fly the DA42 to Europe, I'll re-enable it and add it back.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

If all this stuff is entered into an aircraft profile at Flight Services (aka 1800wxbrief.com), then per Wayne's videos on pop-ups, I think a controller can access it. If not, then at least if you have to contact Flight Services, they'll have it all.
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by ingramleedy »

Boatguy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:00 am If all this stuff is entered into an aircraft profile at Flight Services (aka 1800wxbrief.com), then per Wayne's videos on pop-ups, I think a controller can access it. If not, then at least if you have to contact Flight Services, they'll have it all.
That's a great tip and trick! This would be a good topic/question for the guys at Opposing Bases podcast. https://www.opposingbases.com/
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

ingramleedy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:11 am
Boatguy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:00 am If all this stuff is entered into an aircraft profile at Flight Services (aka 1800wxbrief.com), then per Wayne's videos on pop-ups, I think a controller can access it. If not, then at least if you have to contact Flight Services, they'll have it all.
That's a great tip and trick! This would be a good topic/question for the guys at Opposing Bases podcast. https://www.opposingbases.com/
Yes. Let us know what they say.