5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Carbon Monoxide detector

Post by Steve »

Matt:

On mine the CO Guardian unit generates an audio signal which is fed into one of the unswitched audio inputs on my audio panel. I installed it with my A&P/IA about 13 years ago. I think that there were a total of seven wires to hook up, including the two annunciator signals for CO detect and altitude >10,000 feet, and an external temperature probe for density altitude calculation). There is a RS232 connection as well on my unit, but I don't use it in my installation. All of the connections were easily accessible behind the instrument panel. I know nothing about the G1000 architecture, so I am unsure of the location of the audio input terminals (they could be in the avionics rack under the luggage area).
MarkA
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: N123MZ
Airports: KHIO

Post by MarkA »

The the carbon monoxide sensor part number on my 2010 DA40 XLS is 452-201-010. It has a single male DB9 connector on one end of the unit.

I ordered a remanufactured sensor from Guardian Avionics for $548 + $100 refundable core exchange. If they're out of stock, you can optionally send in your old sensor to Guardian and have them recalibrate it for the same price. In either case, a new wiring harness is not required.

https://www.guardianavionics.com/aero-4 ... tured-unit

In G1000 planes the sensor is physically mounted on the back of the MFD so it's pretty easy to get to by simply removing the instrument panel cover. See the photos below with the red arrow pointing to the sensor.

monoxide sensor.jpg
2010 DA40 XLS, N123MZ, KHIO
https://youtu.be/LuQr6mGxffg
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

After reading about false alarms in hot weather in this string a few months ago, I did some additional research and purchased a digital handheld unit on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076S ... UTF8&psc=1

I picked up my 2008 DA40XLS from annual yesterday at Southtec. As I taxied out, I noticed a slight smell like solvent in the cabin. Then as I was climbing out from KRUQ I noticed my CO alarm on the dash flashing. Since it was 98 degrees, I assumed it was a false alarm. But I looked over at my small digital unit and it was flashing as well and displaying 16ppm of CO. I made sure the cabin heat was off, windows open, and vents open as I circled back around to land. The Southtec guys pulled the cowling to check for obvious causes. Based on hours, they explained they had done a Powerflow inspection and coated the exhaust manifold with Nickel Anti Seize. They did some more ground runs to try to burn some of it off. With the digital meter at zero, I took off again. The panel alarm flashed a couple times over the first 30 minutes of my flight home, which I reset, but my digital meter continued to read zero and I continued on.

Has anyone had a similar experience where they encountered CO in the cabin after service?