Current IFR rating?

Group opinion recorded by the community.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Current IFR rating

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes: 83
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Re: Current IFR rating?

Post by jwx96 »

I got an hour of actual today. We had a stratus layer from 900 AGL to 2,100 AGL and I did three approaches, one with the autopilot. The air was smooth and I’ve done so many approaches with foggles that it seemed straightforward. This is what I want the IFR for. Otherwise on a day like today I would have been grounded.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Re: Current IFR rating?

Post by dmloftus »

jwx96 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:52 am 2003 DA40, G530/430 WAAS, with KAP 140 autopilot. I'm about 1/2 way through my instrument training. I think I'm already a much better pilot and I'm really enjoying the training. The airspace around Minneapolis is currently very busy with training aircraft. We currently have 4 flight schools at my Class D airport - KFCM. How many of you got much actual IMC experience during your training.? If you didn't, where did you eventually get it? Thanks!
No doubt that instrument training makes you a better pilot. Not just in IMC but also a big boost to what most people consider VFR night flying. Many times on moonless nights it is highly beneficial to have trust in your attitude indicator.
Like Wayne and Russ, I did a lot of flying on the Northern California coast with the marine layer as a ready source of benign IFR conditions to practice. Now that I have moved back to the southeast, it is mostly winter low cloud cover and spring/fall morning fog that presents an opportunity to exercise instrument flying skills. Otherwise, I strongly avoid summer IMC with the potential for thunderstorms. But I'll occasionally pop through lower clouds for VFR on top flying. Even with XM weather and ADS-B weather feeds, I want to be able to see significant vertical development or I won't fly. I've come a bit too close to a few developing pop-up thunderstorms in years past and it taught me to add that to my personal minimums. Likewise, I'll rarely fly night IMC with low ceilings unless it is very benign low-level fog. Too much risk if you lose an engine at night.