4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Re: DA62 First Ever RAAC Retrofit

Post by photoSteveZ »

ultraturtle wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:49 pm My guess is that most complaints about cooling effectiveness come from folks who heat soak their aircraft by parking them with sun exposure and expect miracles from a non-miracle providing system.
Most people have expectations born of the powerful air conditioners that they’ve become used to in their cars.

I, for one, can pull my 62 out of a 60° F. hangar on a mild winter day and still wish that the RACC could deliver, if not more cooling, at least more air flow than is available through those tiny vents.
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Post by nworthin »

Has anyone tried pre-cooling with an in-hanger GPU? AFM says requirement is 100A @28V DC.

Something like this would work: https://startpac.com/products/model-53105/

It would also be convenient to update the G1000. I'm in a group hanger until September so don't have access to the 240V AC needed to power this thing but might think about it later.

I'm sure this is not an inexpensive piece of gear - has anyone had any experience with this concept?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I've got a Best Tug with built-in GPU. Even though it's not rated to put out 100 amps, its 4 heavy-duty car batteries are sufficient to power the DA62's electric air conditioner in the hangar.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by nworthin »

CFIDave wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:47 pm I've got a Best Tug with built-in GPU. Even though it's not rated to put out 100 amps, its 4 heavy-duty car batteries are sufficient to power the DA62's electric air conditioner in the hangar.
Do you happen to have the model number of the Best Tug handy? I took a quick look at their website and didn't see anything matching your description.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

My Best Tug is more than 4 years old; it's a B9 model. Since that time, Best Tug now offers a virtually identical B8 model, with a different JumpStart/GPU option. It looks like the current model B8's JumpStart option that uses the tug's 4 internal car batteries would be capable of running the DA62 air conditioning, but only for a few minutes before starting to run down the batteries -- you shouldn't expect the tug to run the AC continuously.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by nworthin »

CFIDave wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:52 pm My Best Tug is more than 4 years old; it's a B9 model.
Thanks. I will consider but I really want something I can just plug in and chill the cabin while I get everything set up. Flying out of South Florida and it's REALLY hot.
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Diamond_Dan »

nworthin wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:15 pm
CFIDave wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:52 pm My Best Tug is more than 4 years old; it's a B9 model.
Thanks. I will consider but I really want something I can just plug in and chill the cabin while I get everything set up. Flying out of South Florida and it's REALLY hot.
When I was in college I worked the line for a charter company with 4 King-airs and a Learjet. The owner had placed a cheap window A/C unit on a push cart with a vent hood adapter taped to it connected to a flexible ventilation hose. Snake the hose into the cabin and it cools down quickly with 110V A/C power and no stress to your onboard A/C.
Similar adapter:
Vent hood adapter.jpg