4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Re: Power supply for iPad charging.

Post by dant »

For what it's worth, I had an Anker 2 USB cigarette charger in the "12V 2A" outlet in my 2008 XLS and I had to stop using it due to a variety of odd electrical gremlins that go away when it's not plugged in. I'm looking in to getting something installed at my next annual. Curious what David picked up that can run an O2 concentrator...
ZAV
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N387DS
Airports: KLEX

Post by ZAV »

I just keep a cheap, lightweight portable charger with me. It will recharge the iPad twice. Seems easier and safer than messing with the electric system or using the installed outlet in the air.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

ZAV wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:30 pm I just keep a cheap, lightweight portable charger with me. It will recharge the iPad twice. Seems easier and safer than messing with the electric system or using the installed outlet in the air.
Same thing I do. My USB brick powers the Scout ADS-B-In receiver, iPad, and iPad cooling cradle for a couple of months before needing a charge. I keep it in the copilot's seat-back pocket.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

dant wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:25 pm For what it's worth, I had an Anker 2 USB cigarette charger in the "12V 2A" outlet in my 2008 XLS and I had to stop using it due to a variety of odd electrical gremlins that go away when it's not plugged in. I'm looking in to getting something installed at my next annual. Curious what David picked up that can run an O2 concentrator...
I upgraded the lighter plug to 7.5A to power a 28V to 12V DC/DC converter that I discovered through DAN:

https://www.inogenaviator.com/products

It will power the Inogen One G5 oxygen concentrator when needed. I've spoken with the owner of Inogen Aviator (aka Windblade) who used to be a distributor for Inogen to the general aviation community. He says he has done a lot of performance and EMI testing on the Inogen unit powered by his DC/DC converter. As an electrical engineer that used to design and flight test military avionics in my former life, I certainly understand your comment about gremlins. EMI in any switching application can cause all kinds of unwanted and unanticipated interference. I will run the Inogen primarily off of the high-capacity battery, but I want the peace of mind of being able to plug in a converter to power the 100W unit in case I'm stuck at altitude after the battery is expended. Of course it can also supply other electronics as well, but I am paranoid of EMI issues with other electronics running.