4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Re: Landing Gear Horn

Post by MackAttack »

Whatever it takes!! Just win, baby! :). You want a short landing, I can give you one! *laughing* I was personally amazed at how short I could land my CubCrafters FX3 with big tires on pavement into a nice breeze. You could almost set it down like a helicopter; virtually no landing roll… very impressive stuff those STOL experts…
Jroseund
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jonathan
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N526AE
Airports: KBFF

Post by Jroseund »

Ed McDonald wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:52 am Is there any way to silence this thing when doing single engine training? With the simulated engine at 11% that horn is really annoying.
I set the “failed engine” to 20-25% zero thrust. I got that number from The Concise Guide to the Diamond DA62 ebook.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Over the years there have been multiple discussions about what % power to use to simulate a failed/feathered engine on various Diamond twins.

Many CFIs have used 20% for DA42 TDI aircraft -- but this is 20% of only 135 hp for Continental (Thielert) 1.7 or 2.0 engines.

After I took delivery of a more-powerful 168 hp Austro-powered DA42-VI, I experimentally determined that 11% power resulted in the same flight performance as a shutting down and feathering an engine.

I've not similarly experimented with my 180 hp Austro-powered DA62 to simulate a feathered engine out, but given that that the DA62 is a heavier plane, I would think 11-15% is probably about right. IMHO, using 20-25% power to simulate zero thrust on a DA62 is "cheating" -- it makes simulated OEI flying too easy.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI