3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: GFELC
Airports: EGBS

Camera Mounts

Post by Mike Jones »

Hopefully more wisdom from you guys. Whilst waiting (patiently) for my 62 I was wondering what options exist to have a cockpit camera mounted somewhere on the roof above the front seats to capture forward view including instruments. It's mainly to critique my landings. On the Cirrus the roof trim is really flexible so I made an aluminium bracket above the trim to create a solid mount. Is the DA62 overhead trim more solid so I could simply use some 3M tape to attach a mount. I would also like to run a USB cable to power the camera.

I have a Garmin Virb to pick up Bluetooth audio and GoPros for everything else. Moving on to external mounts I have seen some fantastic pics from the top of the tail so clearly someone has figured this out so would appreciate any info on what bracketry works. Wingtip mounts either above or below would be interesting.
Waiting for DA62-277
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Re: Camera Mounts

Post by Chris »

I would start by reading the existing threads here.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Mike Jones
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: GFELC
Airports: EGBS

Post by Mike Jones »

Thanks Chris, I should have looked before starting a thread - there is a lot there!
Waiting for DA62-277
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

I use Nflightcam ball mounts externally: you can put one wherever Diamond has used nut plates to attach the extremities: wingtips, nose cone, stab tips, even the aft engine nacelles. Internally, I use the Nflightcam heavy-duty suction mount stuck to either a window or the Rosen sunshades (which I keep stowed overhead and never deploy).

If you position a Hero with a view of the props, be sure to use a ND16 neutral density filter to avoid freezing the prop blades. Below is an example of what the ND16 does to blur the props.

Be careful with the ball mounts: you need to torque the clamping screws tight enough to lock the ball and the camera in position, but if you apply just a little too much torque you'll strip the threads in the aluminum mounting barrel or the aluminum camera fork.

https://www.nflightcam.com/collections/ ... rior-mount
https://www.nflightcam.com/collections/ ... ero9-black
https://www.nflightcam.com/collections/ ... opro-hero9
Attachments
20220810-MtPrinceton-GX030799-2.jpg