3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N226PA
Airports: KTTA

DA40NXI Fuel Quantity

Post by midlifeflyer »

Is the inability to set a fuel quantity above 28 gallons a system limitation or a setting that can be changed?

I'm not referring to the gauges. I sort of understand that. I'm referring to the "totalizer" information that can be entered manually - actual fuel added - and which displays fuel remaining and endurance. Tapping "increase fuel" will not move the total above 28.

We have the 20 gallon tanks. When we do a complete top off, there seems to be no way to tell the system we have 39 gallons and not just 28. It counts down from the 28. Period. That makes the in-flight totalizer information simply wrong. Telling me I have 10 gallons of fuel and 1.5 hours left when I actually have 21 gallons and 3 hours left is objectively incorrect. And it is a mismatch with the gauges which now do show the 21 gallons left.

Not really interested in work-arounds. I have that.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Re: DA40NXI Fuel Quantity

Post by chili4way »

It is likely a G1000 configuration issue. Your plane appears to be a 2010 Lycoming DA40, and your post indicates NXI, not legacy G1000. That’s unexpected. Did you overhaul/upgrade your avionics?
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by midlifeflyer »

chili4way wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:45 am It is likely a G1000 configuration issue. Your plane appears to be a 2010 Lycoming DA40, and your post indicates NXI, not legacy G1000. That’s unexpected. Did you overhaul/upgrade your avionics?
I'm in a flying club with 3 DA40s. All G1000 but three different vintages.

I agree it's a configuration issue, My question is, is it a system limitation or configurable? If "you can't tell us your real fuel quantity" is a limitation, sounds more like a Diamond OEM thing than a Garmin thing.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Since the G1000 is installed in multiple airplane models and mechanical configurations, it has to be "told" what the maximum fuel amount the airplane has for the "reset fuel" function. It's not a system limitation or a software bug. It's also not a Diamond OEM issue.

I'll hazard a guess that the plane involved recently had some avionics work done (e.g., a screen or LRU replacement). The system software was updated or reinstalled, but the updated installation wasn't configured correctly. (It seems likely the 24 gallons is the default configuration.).

It's fixable by a Garmin (or Diamond) service center with the right software tools and experience.
midlifeflyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by midlifeflyer »

Thank you! I was hoping that was the case - a maintenance level function.