Hearing Aids

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Hearing Aids

Post by Rich »

I just got a new pair ($$$ :shock: ) and plan on wearing them all the time. These are the type where there's a module that sits behind the ears. These new models have all manner of features built into their teeny enclosures, including Bluetooth, GPS and vast custom sound processing capability. Given I use an ANR headset, I don't really need them in the plane and it's unclear how they might work inside the ear cups but R&R and/or turning them of for flights would be a pain.

They are BT-paired with both my iPhone and iPad and I was concerned that would compromise the BT-pairing between both those devices and my BluLink 2 adapter. But I found that the BluLink becomes the active connection on both Apple-thingees when I fire it up. So no need to turn them off.

Now there is an interesting hypothetical, were one to use a BT headset (sans BluLink 2) that only has the ability to use a single device:
1. Connect the headset to the iPhone so I have two-way conversation ability.
2. Let the hearing aids connect to the iPad for the various alerts FF provides.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Re: Hearing Aids

Post by photoSteveZ »

I've got a new pair of hearing aids, my first, also with the module behind the ears. I find that they work well under the ear cups of both Bose and Lightspeed bluetooth-enabled ANR headsets. I haven't got the whole bluetooth thing figured out: I also got a new iPhone at the same time so there are permutations that I've yet to work out. The hearing aids are usually connected to my iPhone and allow me to take calls through them under normal circumstances. That probably won't work in the airplane since the hearing aids' microphones will be under my headset cups. But in general, I like the hearing aids' capabilities and I'm happy I can wear them comfortably under ANR headsets.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N454M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Lightspeed has a new Delta Zulu headset with a 12 band equalizer. According to the website, you take a hearing test with their app, each ear separately. It figures out your frequency response deficiencies, then loads the equalization curve to the headset to make the corrections. As a bonus, it also has a CO detector.

Seems like a pretty cool upgrade to headset technology.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

I have one on order, but mine hasn't shipped yet.