3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ed
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: CFPWP
Airports: CFB6

ECU Test (Ground Run-up)

Post by Ed McDonald »

I just completed the DA42/62 maintenance course and one tidbit I learned is that one can do the ECU test with a minimum oil temp of 35 C. It is in the maintenance manual.

The AFM is not clear about this and implies that one should wait until 50 C. Being able to do the run-up at 35 C will save some unnecessary ground time.
haykinson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ilya
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N724LA
Airports: KSMO

Re: ECU Test (Ground Run-up)

Post by haykinson »

Where do you see this? I see the E4 Operating Manual and the E4 Overhaul Manual agreeing that runups should be done at or above 50°C.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I think the proof would be in the run-up. My memory is that others who have tried a run-up with the gauges still in the yellow have been greeted with an ECU Failed.

Please let us know if you are able to pass the ECU test when the oil is in the yellow.
robert63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OE-FAR
Airports: LOWL

Post by robert63 »

The ECU test doesn‘t even start as long as oil and gear temperature are in the yellow range. The checklist says that both temperatures must be in the green range and gearbox temperature should be 38° Celsius min.
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

I was also in the maintenance class and had questions about this. The POH just says all temps have to be in the green. I was under the impression that if you pressed the run-up buttons before the temps were all in the green the computer would not allow the test to begin.

Yesterday I tested this by pressing the buttons with the oil temp still in the yellow, slightly low at 47C. The self test proceeded normally. I didn't try it any lower for fear of hurting something or having a dreaded ECU fail but there were none. So the oil temp does not have to be in the green. Try it at lower oil temps and report back.

The POH also says no full power runs until the oil temp is 60C so you should wait for that anyway before takeoff.

Perhaps the he was talking about gearbox temp instead, >35C would be the right number for that.

Also on the subject of temperatures, he said the glow plug activation will not enunciate above 20C. Here in Florida the panel regularly shows the glow plug active above that. Yesterday the engine temp before start up was 24C and the glow plug enunciation came on for both engines.

Maybe it is airframe or software version specific. Some of the information in the course was pretty old.

Maybe these temps are more like guidelines.
Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 6.17.40 AM.png
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Soareyes wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:22 am Also on the subject of temperatures, he said the glow plug activation will not enunciate above 20C. Here in Florida the panel regularly shows the glow plug active above that. Yesterday the engine temp before start up was 24C and the glow plug enunciation came on for both engines.
My DA40NG, hangared in Northern California (KSTS), rarely lights up the glow plug. I takes a very cold morning and early departure.

But in a DA62 in Long Beach where the temperature range is only 65˚-85˚F, the glow plugs were lit up every morning. Obviously a difference in how the two engines are programmed.