More Tidbits From the Maintenance Course

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

More Tidbits From the Maintenance Course

Post by Soareyes »

1. At the request of a customer and it must have been a very good customer they once made a wet wing DA62ER to hold more fuel for Extended Range. I asked whether they had plans to put that wing on the DA50 to give it better range. The guy said no, the full fuel useful load went to almost nothing. My thought is that every plane should have big tanks and a small full fuel useful load. That would give maximum flexibility for trading range vs. load.

2. Throughout the course, recent model DA42s were consistently referred to as "Dash-6." Fine with me.

3. Regarding sourcing your own ECU back-up batteries vs. paying Diamond for what he admitted were the same batteries used in kids PowerWheels, he said he had to recommend getting the ones that came with a piece of paper saying approved for aviation use. During past annuals my service center would not allow me to furnish my own batteries. Given our litigious society I can understand that. I wonder what they would say if I delivered the plane to them with the batteries already replaced by me a week before.

4. For the emergency battery behind the panel, I thought I heard him say that there was a service bulletin to allow changing from the lithium pack to the one with replaceable AA batteries. Not sure why you would want to, maybe cheaper and easier if you can do it yourself. See above.

5. When using TKS, they recommended pushing the windshield spray button 1-4 times first, before turning on the wings. It helped to bleed air out of the system.

6. Also on the subject of TKS, there was something to try if you get a dry panel that won't wet out. At the end of each panel is a small drain or ventilation hole. Use a syringe to suck on the hole while running the system. Some kind of rubber grommet to seal the connection. That may help to draw fluid into the panel.

7. Did you land in wet conditions and it is expected to freeze later? Don't set the parking brake. It can freeze in position.

8. Accessing the main battery located behind the TKS tank. I had been under the impression that the TKS tank had to be removed to access the battery. Not so, although it would make it easier.

9. The fuel injectors have a 900 hour mandatory replacement cycle. There is a new type of injector coming out, hopefully in 2023, that should be good until TBR, currently 1,800 hours.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: More Tidbits From the Maintenance Course

Post by Colin »

Number 5 is a lifesaver, thanks.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

4. Definitely cheaper to replace the batteries. In fact, effectively free. After replacing the batteries I use them over time in all the other stuff that needs AA's for which I would be buying them anyway.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

Thanks for this report!! Great to hear about the new injectors! Any other improvements in the pipeline? I definitely should take this class (maybe should have prior to flying around the world…)
Soareyes wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:16 am 1. At the request of a customer and it must have been a very good customer they once made a wet wing DA62ER to hold more fuel for Extended Range. I asked whether they had plans to put that wing on the DA50 to give it better range. The guy said no, the full fuel useful load went to almost nothing. My thought is that every plane should have big tanks and a small full fuel useful load. That would give maximum flexibility for trading range vs. load.
Wow, that’s awesome they built an ER! Any idea how much fuel it added?
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

Soareyes wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:16 am 4. For the emergency battery behind the panel, I thought I heard him say that there was a service bulletin to allow changing from the lithium pack to the one with replaceable AA batteries. Not sure why you would want to, maybe cheaper and easier if you can do it yourself. See above.
Does anybody know if this Service Bulletin (/Information) actually exists?

I could not find it in the support site.
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

Does anybody know if this Service Bulletin (/Information) actually exists?

A. I may have misheard that information.
B. I have a vague recollection that it was something in process and not yet released. I may have misheard that too. It was a passing comment by the instructor during a discussion of something else. Sorry.
C. A call to Diamond support should clear it up.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22