Hearing Aids

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Hearing Aids

Post by Rich »

photoSteveZ wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:05 pm Yes, the Delta Zulu comes with battery holders even if you order the panel-powered LEMO version. I’ve discovered that I cannot use the LiPo battery in the airplane because it somehow adds a bad squeal in the headset when the LEMO jack is powered on. Any ideas? Lightspeed customer service has no answers for me.
A question: Do you have built-in LEMO plugs in your plane or are you using the GA Dual/LEMO adapter we came up with?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

Rich wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:20 pm
photoSteveZ wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:05 pm Yes, the Delta Zulu comes with battery holders even if you order the panel-powered LEMO version. I’ve discovered that I cannot use the LiPo battery in the airplane because it somehow adds a bad squeal in the headset when the LEMO jack is powered on. Any ideas? Lightspeed customer service has no answers for me.
A question: Do you have built-in LEMO plugs in your plane or are you using the GA Dual/LEMO adapter we came up with?
Built in. So far as I know, all DA62s have powered LEMO jacks at every seat.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

photoSteveZ wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:41 pm
Rich wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:20 pm
Built in. So far as I know, all DA62s have powered LEMO jacks at every seat.
Good to know that the squeal isn't my fault :D Maybe there's some noise in the avionics power bus that the LiPo charging circuit is sensitive to. Does this happen when you have charging power applied to the battery at the same time? Maybe try different combinations of charging cable connected and not with and without charging power actually applied.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by photoSteveZ »

Rich, I’ve never tried attaching a charging cable with the LiPo case attached and the headset receiving ship power. The manual suggests that ship power alone will keep the LiPo charged, but they clearly didn’t reckon with whatever is injecting the squeal.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

photoSteveZ wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:56 pm Rich, I’ve never tried attaching a charging cable with the LiPo case attached and the headset receiving ship power. The manual suggests that ship power alone will keep the LiPo charged, but they clearly didn’t reckon with whatever is injecting the squeal.
I just ordered one and now I'm having second thoughts. Clearly they have some sort of bug. If it's not fixed by firmware, then that's a problem.

There is no squeal with you use the AA battery pack with no batteries, and LEMO?
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by photoSteveZ »

Boatguy wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:43 am
photoSteveZ wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:56 pm Rich, I’ve never tried attaching a charging cable with the LiPo case attached and the headset receiving ship power. The manual suggests that ship power alone will keep the LiPo charged, but they clearly didn’t reckon with whatever is injecting the squeal.
There is no squeal with you use the AA battery pack with no batteries, and LEMO?
Correct. Annoyingly, the squeal introduced by the LiPo case is intermittent. But it’s a 90/10 sort of intermittency so I have yet to characterize the magic incantation required to avoid it.

Another annoyance I’ve noted with the Delta Zulu is that the 62’s overhead RACC vent tends to blow air on the headset’s external ANR microphone, depending on seating position and the aim of the vent, which can produce the familiar wind-over-mic crackle in your ears.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by photoSteveZ »

Good news: I updated my Delta Zulu headset to the latest firmware using the Lightspeed phone app, and the squeal was gone during a flight this morning.