Garmin DB Mgr does not work with MacOS Ventura

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Garmin DB Mgr does not work with MacOS Ventura

Post by Boatguy »

Trying to update my DBs yesterday I got an error in the Garmin Database manager and was unable to download the DBs.

I called Garmin support this morning and was told that Garmin's Database Manager does not work with Ventura and was advised to use some other computer.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Re: Garmin DB Mgr does not work with MacOS Ventura

Post by CFIDave »

Boatguy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:42 pm Trying to update my DBs yesterday I got an error in the Garmin Database manager and was unable to download the DBs.

I called Garmin support this morning and was told that Garmin's Database Manager does not work with Ventura and was advised to use some other computer.
Yeah, I discovered this last week. Fortunately I've got Parallels with Windows also installed on my Mac -- so I installed the Windows version of Garmin's Database Manager that still works correctly.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
gyro3816
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N886KC
Airports: KPTK

Post by gyro3816 »

I use MAC also - thx for heads up, I’ll just stop MAC OS update so I can continue to use (I have a dedicated MAC Air for DB updates)
Adam
CSEL, CMEL, Instrument
N886KC DA40 XLS, G1000 w GFC700
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

Boatguy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:42 pm Trying to update my DBs yesterday I got an error in the Garmin Database manager and was unable to download the DBs.

Russ, thanks for the heads up.

I'm still using the older "Fly Garmin" app on my Mac.
screenshot25.png
Can I assume that you moved up to the actual Database Manager that came out say 6+ months ago??... and that I may be OK with continuing to use the old FlyGarmin App on my Mac (Monterey or if I were to update to Ventura)??

Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

Yes, I had moved to the Database Mgr that came out earlier this year.

I have no idea if the older version works under Ventura, but since they did not test the new version on Ventura, I think it's highly unlikely they tested the old one. So the only way to find out is to do it, and then of course you have way to go back. I suggest it's probably safest to stay with Monterey for the moment.

When I encountered this problem I deleted what I had, downloaded a fresh copy from the Gamin site, and installed it. Then it failed again. Since Garmin knew about this problem, they should have put a notice on the download page. I don't know if or how they intend to let us know when the new version is working with Ventura.

The version I have that does not work is 22.11.1. No guarantees, but I would hope that any later version is compatible with Ventura.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

For those using Jeppesen JDM, it has a notice from September to hold off updating to Ventura due to problems they discovered during testing.

There is no such notice in the iOS/iPad OS versions.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

The older version flyGarmin for Mac is also unfortunately busted by installing MacOS Ventura. I tried using that first before later installing the newer Garmin Database Manager stand-alone application. Neither works with MacOS Ventura, which is why I was forced to install Database Manager under Windows.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
haykinson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ilya
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N724LA
Airports: KSMO

Post by haykinson »

Boatguy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:27 pm When I encountered this problem I deleted what I had, downloaded a fresh copy from the Gamin site, and installed it. Then it failed again. Since Garmin knew about this problem, they should have put a notice on the download page. I don't know if or how they intend to let us know when the new version is working with Ventura.
The flyGarmin website now has this notice:
"The Garmin Aviation Database Manager is not yet compatible with the recently released macOS Ventura. Thank you for your patience as we work to update the Garmin Aviation Database Manager."

I assume that when that notice is gone, the app will work again. Some random support forum that I found had a garmin rep saying they're actively working on fixing this.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Updated data cards for my GNS units today. I confirmed that JDM for MacOS still does not work with Ventura. Instead I used JDM/iOS 16.x/Wombat and it worked fine.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

haykinson wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:03 am The flyGarmin website now has this notice:
"The Garmin Aviation Database Manager is not yet compatible with the recently released macOS Ventura. Thank you for your patience as we work to update the Garmin Aviation Database Manager."

I assume that when that notice is gone, the app will work again. Some random support forum that I found had a garmin rep saying they're actively working on fixing this.
I don't see that notice, but it still does not work. I can't find the old Garmin Connect using the links they provide. I've not updated my wife's Mac to Ventura so I'm using that for now.