Can you install a KAP140 autopilot if there wasn't one originally?

Any DA40 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

WildUnicorn
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jaydon
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N742DS
Airports: KLGU

Can you install a KAP140 autopilot if there wasn't one originally?

Post by WildUnicorn »

Hi all,

I'm looking at older DA40's, and one thing I've noticed is that not all have the KAP140 autopilot installed. Was it a factory option at the time? If it wasn't installed at the factory, is it possible to install it later on assuming you can find a compatible, working autopilot and someone to do the work?

I glanced at the STCs, and as far as I can tell, there isn't one for any autopilot. The FAA type certificate data sheet also doesn't list the autopilot.

In a similar vein, was there ever any progress on this? S-Tec 3100 autopilot STC for the DA40 The last post was a few years back.

Thanks!
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Re: Can you install a KAP140 autopilot if there wasn't one originally?

Post by Charles K »

It was a factory option prior to availability of the GFC700. My 2004 has the 140. I have seen very few for sale without the 140 or 700. Generally were older Air Force Academy planes or flight school planes. I'd be sure to get one with A/P already installed.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

As Charles stated, it was a factory option starting in 2001. Cost was $20K, which included the KI525 HSI - a really good deal in my opinion. Although theoretically possible to add one, the cost would be prohibitive. There are a lot of boxes - KC140 FC computer, three servos and the associated mounting components, trim and disconnect switches, lots of wires...

Plus, the labor.

Plus, I'm not even sure that you can get new components for the KAP140.

If you are interested in anything more than the Saturday $100 hamburger run, I would get an aircraft with one installed.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

I know that a few people have looked into retrofitting an autopilot into one of the DA40s which were shipped without one, and as far as I'm aware, nobody has managed to accomplish it. It looks like Kai got an estimate from Diamond of over 50,000 €, and that was more than twelve years ago.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
WildUnicorn
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jaydon
Aircraft Registration: N742DS
Airports: KLGU

Post by WildUnicorn »

Interesting, and very good to know! I definitely want a AP, so I’ll find a plane with one already installed. Thanks, all!
WestCOHopeful
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N0000
Airports: KMTJ

Post by WestCOHopeful »

Great thread - glad to read over your conversation.

Looking at a beautiful low hour DA40 right now for $195,000 BUT no autopilot :(

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?ca ... e=aircraft

Talking to avionics shops and not getting anything positive as far as retrofitting ...

Anyone with new info I'd love to hear.

David
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

I don't believe anyone but the factory can install an autopilot in the DA40. The GFC500 is not available for the DA40. The only options are the KAP140 and the GFC700. I don't think the GFC700 works with anything but the G1000. A few years ago there was a program to install a GFC700 in a G1000 equipped DA40 for $40k. But your option is probably only the KAP140, and in that case given the cost and the tradeoffs, it's probably worth holding out for another AP equipped DA40.

Also, a 2003 with only 645 hours would be a bit concerning to me. It definitely sat for some of its life. I presume the early part of its life. Fortunately it looks like that was a bit of a ways from the coast, so perhaps not much corrosion. But still, sitting isn't any good for an engine. If you do proceed, be sure to get an oil analysis and check the oil filter for filings. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some wear on the cam that would show up. Likely some other issues with corrosion under the paint if it was ever close to the coast (which it looks like it was.)

Long story short: this deal looks too good to be true. If you do want to see about the autopilot I suggest reaching out to Diamond Canada at support-canada@diamondaircraft.com.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

The one in that ad (N314SE) was recently put up for sale by one of the guys here because of the lack of the autopilot.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Post by jwx96 »

I wouldn’t get it without an autopilot. X-country trips will be a chore without an autopilot and the autopilot is a big safety feature for flying in IMC. I have a 2003 and I love it, but if my KAP 140 ever breaks, and I can’t get it fixed/replaced, I’m getting a new airplane. At that point it would still be a great plane for a flight school.
AD1166
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Kevin
Aircraft Registration: N719M
Airports: M41

Post by AD1166 »

I am the guy here selling N314SE.

It did apparently sit in either the late 2000's or early 2010's, but I can assure you the engine is fine and there is no corrosion. I acquired the plane in late 2019. It might be one of the finest early DA40's around; I'd put it up against any. Look up on FlightAware/Flightradar24 and you will see I flew the airplane regularly.

The ONLY reason I am selling is the lack of an AP and any option to add one. Otherwise, it is a fantastic airplane.

You can see how much I loved it in the "No Plans for Diamond GFC 500 Autopilot?" thread (if I knew how to post a link I would...).

If it doesn't sell for what it's worth, my wife has given me permission to keep it; it makes an excellent "go looking at stuff" platform...

On a side note, as a new (to me) XLS owner, I was surprised at how much different it feels versus N314SE. With the extra heft, it's somewhere between N314SE and my SR22T. Makes the older Diamond feel like an LSA!