1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Buzz
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N440JP
Airports: KMYF KHIO

Re: vm1000 replacement

Post by BuzzB »

Actually the MVP-50P makes use of the existing fuel gauges. That's the good news...

The bad news... during the very last day of installing the new monitor, the final activity was calibrating the fuel gauge readings by draining the tanks, and adding measured amounts back in until full. The left tank calibration went perfectly, but the right tank fuel gauge failed. This necessitated purchase of a new right tank fuel gauge from the Diamond Factory, adding another six weeks to the process waiting for the new gauge. And yes, to install that replacement fuel gauge did require right wing removal.

In any case, I've now been flying with the new monitor for a few weeks, and have been careful to verify after each flight the amount of fuel needed for top off, against what the monitor said was burned. Agreement thus far is within a gallon, and the new monitor has a software feature that allows you to tweak the calibration to get even more exact agreement.

The MVP-50P is very nearly the same dimension as the old VM1000. Unsure but think there was just some minor re-sizing of the panel.

The work was done by Aircraft Service Center San Diego (formerly known as Gibbs Service Center), located at my home field KMYF. They've been the primary maintenance shop for this plane for at least 14 years, and do the annuals etc for quite a few DA40's including some that are based well outside San Diego (Los Angeles, Arizona). They also are a Garmin authorized shop so take care of my plane's avionics as well.