5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: New MSB about to be issued

Post by Boatguy »

Diamond has issued further information to address some of the questions being raised in this thread. Click on the various sections on this web page for more information.

https://www.diamondaircraft.com/en/serv ... sb-e-4-039
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Got some good news today on the engines for my soon-to-be-delivered DA62. The serials for the engines are not included in the MSB list of affected engines (as E4P series engines, they would be in Group 4 if included). But their serials aren’t (yet) included. So it looks like I may have dodged this particular bullet … which is pretty good news if it holds up!

Cheers
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Post by nworthin »

Well, took my new DA62 in for its 100 hr check up (combining it with annual) and got the bad news. Right engine above 9PPM Aluminum.

And, I had just put half a liter of new oil into each engine as the level was just barely above min. So, maybe the AL level was even higher without the "dilution".

Waiting to hear how long it will take to get a new core and then installed.

Left engine is at 8PPM so now I have to figure out what to do about that.

As always, Premier (FXE) great to work with. Highly communicative and clearly feeling my pain.
RDGUSLLC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Roger
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N224PG
Airports: KCVG

Post by RDGUSLLC »

Excellent response - Thank you
MarkO
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: ZKDIA
Airports: NZQN

Post by MarkO »

My DA62 is under production now - will I have to accept the aircraft if the engines are on the list, or do all aircraft delivered after the MSB was issued have good engines?
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Post by nworthin »

MarkO wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:13 am My DA62 is under production now - will I have to accept the aircraft if the engines are on the list, or do all aircraft delivered after the MSB was issued have good engines?
I asked a similar question about a DA62 that I expect to take delivery on in July and my representative at Premier replied, "All the planes since mid November (2022) are not affected."

So it sounds like you should be fine.
MarkO
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Registration: ZKDIA
Airports: NZQN

Post by MarkO »

That sounds good - mine is ready in week six 2023 so early Feb.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

nworthin wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:33 pm Well, took my new DA62 in for its 100 hr check up (combining it with annual) and got the bad news. Right engine above 9PPM Aluminum.

And, I had just put half a liter of new oil into each engine as the level was just barely above min. So, maybe the AL level was even higher without the "dilution".

Waiting to hear how long it will take to get a new core and then installed.

Left engine is at 8PPM so now I have to figure out what to do about that.

As always, Premier (FXE) great to work with. Highly communicative and clearly feeling my pain.
That’s really unfortunate, Norm: sorry to hear it. Mine passed their first 100 hr check, and I’ll be taking the 62 to Premier (FTW) for a combined 200hr/annual in the spring. If they fail at that point, my guess is that the new pistons kit for my s/n will already be on hand.
A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Juan
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N195DA
Airports: KCEU

Post by A Dopo »

Ed McDonald wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:47 pm I believe that there has been an over reaction on this this forum/thread regarding the Austo engine issue. There is no doubt that this is a serious issue however I think the alarm expressed by some is a bit too much.
On the issue of Diamond/Austro's liquidity and it ability to pay for this MSB, I don't think they are anywhere near a bankruptcy situation (as shown in the previous post) as well as a full order book for as far as the eye can see. This is going to hit their profitability for sure but it certainly won't break them.
The cost of the MSB is being borne entirely by Diamond/Austro, including the oil sampling. No owner is out of pocket on this including the core changes nor the replacement of the pistons, piston rings, and connecting rod assemblies. For those that get a core replacement, you get a brand new core (upon which TBR's are based) so essentially the TBR clock is reset at no cost although that does not change the component overhaul periods.
For Group 1 and 2 engines, it appears to be a case of monitoring the oil analysis (which should be done anyways) with the cost being paid by Diamond/Austro. For Group 3 and 4 engines the same thing but with the prospect of a replacement of the pistons/piston rings/con-rod assembly or core replacement before 900/1000 hours, respectively.
Obviously no one likes a MSB like this and it will be disruptive but I think, based upon the briefings I have had from my Diamond dealer, that Diamond/Austro has done their homework and they are working tirelessly to minimize the disruption.
As unfortunate as this is, $hit happens in all industries. Car manufacturers are not immune from recalls, for example. The measure of how good an organization is is not the original screw up but the recovery from it. So far, I think Diamond/Austro has done as well as can be expected by any organization under this circumstance.
This is not the first time an aircraft engine has faced a major issue - I believe that Lycoming had a big one years ago regarding a crankshaft (I am going by memory). More recently, Rolls-Royce had an issue with their Trent engines that power the Boeing 787 and I recall seeing British Airways and Virgin Airlines B787's, valued at approximately $1/4 billion dollars each, parked at Heathrow with engines missing while that problem got sorted out.
Time will tell how serious of an issue this is by the number of engines showing aluminum values greater than 8 ppm however I can't agree with all of the Diamond/Austro slagging on this thread.
Good points except a failed engine could be a life or death situation. Luckily we don't appear to be affected with NG035.
Ed McDonald
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ed
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: CFPWP
Airports: CFB6

Post by Ed McDonald »

What’s your point? A flaw in the engines has been identified and a risk/probability analysis has been done for the 4 engine groups that led to this MSB and the associated steps to address this issue.
I am not aware of any engine failures of the Austro’s since this MSB was issued so the risk seems to be managed. What actions would you prefer Diamond/Austro take? Ground the entire fleet? That would be an irresponsible over reaction to this issue. And, judging from the relatively few engines that seem to be grounded by this, not grounding the fleet is proving to be the appropriate and responsible response.
Flying is risk management from the design, production, maintenance and through to the operation of aircraft.