Thinking of DA40 after SR22

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingram
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N238PS
Airports: KBOW

Re: Thinking of DA40 after SR22

Post by ingramleedy »

For me, I wanted a modern aircraft, modern avionics, and a safety record.

The DA40 NG is this plus:

1. JET-A Fuel, Jet fuel is easier to obtain than AVGAS, less expensive than Avgas, and isn't toxic/poisonous as EPA will label Avgas soon, don't have to worry about STC for new AvGas or availability, not as flammable, and no carb heat to fuss with.
2. 5.1 US gal/h (@60%/75%), less expensive to operate
3. FADEC controls - throttle, prop, and mixture controls into a single control, simpler
4. Leading safety records, better insurance rates, for example, for flammable fluid fire protection: twin wing spar design to allow the fuel to be placed in separate aluminum fuel tanks located between the massive and protective spars, flexible stainless steel braided high-pressure fuel lines,
5. Stick controls -- you can be a fighter pilot.

I've read here on the forums that a Diamond is a pilots aircraft - you fly it and can feel it and it's also extremally docile and safer. It would be hard for me to fly any other aircraft if it didn't have the above characteristics.

-Ingram
curts63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Curt
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N215CS
Airports: 22N

Post by curts63 »

Hi DA40 fan,
I was a DA-40 owner, still love the airplane. I only had a couple hours in a SR-20 prior to buying the Diamond. I felt more at ease flying the DA-40, which seems to have a wider margin in the stall areas. This plane is much less likely to tumble in the area that many Cirrus are lost, slow flight and times of pilot overload. Though getting "behind the airplane" isn't good in any airplane.

I would definitely get the G1000/ GFC-700 combination, you'll pay a premium, but it's worth it. This setup will equal, but I feel outperform the IFD and DFC90. The ballistic chute a nice piece of mind, it was a factor in my purchase of the Panthera. The annual inspections should be a fraction of what you were spending. I would expect less than $2000 per year. Mine were under $500 doing them myself with a neighbor A&P looking over my shoulder and signing off. The insurance is considerably less as well, boy do I miss that!!!

I don't think you'll have any regrets making the switch. Just my two cents.

Curt
laserpilot
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jaap
Aircraft Registration: N2864
Airports: KBWD

Post by laserpilot »

My 0.02 cents;

I have about 800 hrs in SR20's and SR22's. And only single digits in a DA40.

Why went I back from a Citation Mustang to a Piper Meridian? In the time I prefly the Citation i'm already flying the Meridian. Having to feed only one engine and only have to worry about one overhaul somewhere.

Why did I order a DA40 NG? For the short, simple flights and yes the systems in the DA40 are way simpler. Having lost an expensive turbo engine on a SR22T also didnt help with the trust in the company. I had to pay myself.... So I applaud your choice for a simpler airplane, still having all the bells and whistles.
laserpilot
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jaap
Aircraft Registration: N2864
Airports: KBWD

Post by laserpilot »

PS; now changed to the Lycosaurus because of the stall speed, T/O and landing performance ( better) on the XLT
DA40 NG will be N268PA