operational cost for a da40

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Re: operational cost for a da40

Post by Mjwatlanta »

This relates to very low hour 2019 DA40 NG - it will have under 100 tach hours at the time the annual is needed in March.

FYI: I had the 911 and 913 tests done last week. The total was $418.00. Duncan, a national avionics company, wanted $2,000 then graciously lowered to $1,500 when I balked at that. I think the $418.00 is pretty fair.

My annual is due in March so I'm making reservations now. One company quoted the following:$2,580 for annual then consumables like oil and filters and shop supplies and shipping brought the total to $3,222.00. Basically all of the oil and filter costs were doubled over what I would pay if I bought directly from amazon. Plus, it's pretty far away so I'll have to fly there and figure out how to get to and from the airport - so figure another $700 for that. This is a very experienced Diamond shop with a great reputation for quality work and Diamond knowledge.

The company that did the transponder and altimeter check quoted $1,000 and I can supply my own oil etc. It is not a Diamond speciality shop, but the owner tells me they have done Diamonds and with the computer connection and support from Diamond he assures me it's well within his expertise. A gas DA40 arrived as I was leaving - so they at least know the layout of the plane. My wife will be able to drive down and get me from this shop with about a 40 minute drive. I leaning towards this option.

My question is, am I being penny wise and pound foolish?
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Wow, I thought the days of the $1000 annual were long gone!
Mjwatlanta wrote:My question is, am I being penny wise and pound foolish?
Maybe, maybe not. A few things to consider...
  • An experienced Diamond shop may be more efficient in resolving things if there are any surprises.
  • Potential buyers a few years down the line may be more comfortable if they see "known good" service centers in the logbooks rather than an unknown local shop.
  • A local shop may be more willing to let you to get your hands dirty and do some of the work yourself if that sort of thing interests you.
  • Having your local shop build more expertise on servicing your NG may be beneficial to you later.
My DA42-NG is currently undergoing its annual inspection at Premier in Texas. Prior to that it was being done at Absolute in Hayward. Both are well-respected shops. In between annuals, I've had a local shop do a couple of relatively minor things (replacing a leaky coolant pressure valve, etc), after doing my own troubleshooting and sourcing of parts, in the hopes of getting that shop more comfortable with working on these engines. It has worked out fairly well, and it saved me quite a bit of time and $$, but they still aren't interested in taking on anything like an annual inspection, and I wouldn't be ready to let them unless it was owner-assisted.

My worst maintenance experience thus far was with a rather well-known shop who used to be a Diamond Service Center but isn't anymore. They talked a good game on the phone but screwed up the aforementioned coolant pressure valve by reinstalling it incorrectly after a pressure test. There were other problems with their work as well... lesson learned. IMO, the expertise of the people doing the work matters the most, and sometimes the good mechanics move away or set up their own shop, leaving inexperienced people behind, so having a personal relationship with the person doing/managing the work is a big plus.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Michael - have a look at this thread and the spreadsheet.

It's unusual to find a 2019 DA40NG only now reaching its first 100-hour inspection. This time around, I'd probably have a highly experienced DASC do the service and annual. They'll know about any MSBs applicable to your engine and airframe, although if a DASC performed the last annual inspection, they likely would have addressed these. In any event, I'd encourage you to pay for a supplemental Blackstone oil analysis.

Whenever an owner plans to use a local MX organization or A&P that is not a DASC, I ask where they will get the parts and what the margin stacking is. I'd also make sure they understand which parts are one-time-use (like the air induction hose clamps that get removed when doing the gearbox service in the DA40NG) so they aren't tempted to reuse them when they discover these aren't included in the 100-hour kit (because it's also used on the twins which don't have this peculiarity).

Congrats on the DA40NG. I have really enjoyed owning & flying mine -- also a 2019 model.
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

Paul, what is “margin stacking”? And your spread sheet is the bomb!
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

There's a cost and profit opportunity each time a part changes hands from the manufacturer to the time it's installed. If your local shop buys a part from Aircraft Spruce, they probably have some markup over what they pay - plus shipping. Perhaps they also have a volume discount from Aircraft Spruce that "hides" some or all of their margin, so the price you see on your invoice is the same as what is on their catalog.

Diamond attempts to standardize its parts pricing at its Diamond Authorized Service Centers (DASCs). [Transportation-related costs can vary, and when parts price increases, some DASCs may not increase the price of parts in stock to match the cost of replacing that stock]. This pricing provides some margin to the DASC. Diamond also attempts to make parts with Diamond part numbers exclusively available through its DASCs.

What that could mean for you (if you have an independent service provider servicing your Diamond) is that they probably have to buy the Diamond parts at "retail" from a DASC. If the independent shop adds their standard parts margin, you could pay a higher price for parts than if your place was serviced at a DASC. This is the "margin stacking" I am referring to.

If the independent labor charges are lower (lower rate or fewer hours) or things like "shop supplies" are lower, you could still save on your overall MX costs.
WestCOHopeful
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N0000
Airports: KMTJ

Post by WestCOHopeful »

Very interesting thread and thanks to all who are sharing their knowledge.

I have created a spreadsheet for estimating annual ownership and operating costs for a G1000 DA40, assuming 500 - 2000 hours so probably a late 2000s - early 2010s XL or XLS. I based it on 100 hours flying per year and a pretty high level of care. If anyone is interested I will send it. Caveat is that I am a wannabe DA40 owner, so even though I have time in the plane and have owned expensive toys, I really am just guessing ;) I would love to have someone critique it to help me make it more accurate. I'm hoping that a potential owner / partner will be impressed by my diligence and want to plunk down the cash to buy half of the airplane !
YokotaFTC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: DScot
Aircraft Registration: N138UA
Airports: RJTY

Post by YokotaFTC »

GREAT INFO...THANKS

And thanks for the spreadsheet share Paul, still setting up a parts list and where best to do our sourcing. This helps GREATLY