Maintenance purchasing

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

jashsmash
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Josh
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N920LA
Airports: frg

Maintenance purchasing

Post by jashsmash »

Hey everyone,

I was doing a leaseback with a flight school for my DA40NG and I soon ended it because it wasn't working out for me. However, the one benefit was that the airplane was always seeing proper maintenance. The flight school is an approved Diamond maintainer so they were able to purchase parts easily.

Now that I'm doing a leaseback with a flight club the purchasing is much harder for us than I had imagined. Looking for advice on where to buy Diamond parts from. Is it possible to eliminate the middle man and purchase parts direct from Diamond?
shorton
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N68MJ
Airports: KSNA

Re: Maintenance purchasing

Post by shorton »

In my experience, Diamond will tell you the parts must be purchased from a Diamond Service Center. The service center could provide them to a local mechanic.
Scott Horton, JD CPA
ATP, FAA Gold Seal CFI, CFII, MEI
https://orangecountyflightinstruction.com
KSNA, Orange County, CA
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

I have bought a number of Diamond-specific parts directly from Premier Aircraft in Florida. They have some of their inventory posted online, or you can call them at 800-903-8402. They are a major Diamond Service Shop and will sell parts directly to the public. In my experience, for parts they have in stock, they tend to be cheaper than buying directly from the factory in Canada.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Rick wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:27 pm I have bought a number of Diamond-specific parts directly from Premier Aircraft in Florida. They have some of their inventory posted online, or you can call them at 800-903-8402. They are a major Diamond Service Shop and will sell parts directly to the public. In my experience, for parts they have in stock, they tend to be cheaper than buying directly from the factory in Canada.
Same here. Brittany Glassman has been very helpful. Even if a part is not in stock and they have to order from Canada, they will often bundle your order with theirs, saving you the exorbitant shipping cost from Canada. Then you pay only the shipping cost from FL to your home. There used to be a Diamond Service Center called Southwest Texas Aviation at Smithville-Crawford airport (84R) that was only 66 NM from my home field, so I would often fly over to pick up parts when they came in, saving shipping cost entirely (other than Avgas). Unfortunately, they are no longer a Diamond Service Center.
jashsmash
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Josh
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N920LA
Airports: frg

Post by jashsmash »

This is all great stuff everyone! Me and the mechanic recently got screwed with HUGE shipping costs because the Diamond service center passed those costs onto us without telling us first. It’s one thing to tell us it’s another to randomly send a second invoice. Thanks!