2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jacob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NOTYET
Airports: KCDA KCDW

DA40 Home Sim Components?

Post by jbz »

Hello everyone! I'm a weekend warrior with ~250 hrs PPL and I'm planning my IFR training. As part of this, I hope to get into a DA40 ownership situation for my training hours. In order to manage flying costs, I am also putting together a basic home sim setup to let me learn at my desk (I'm in NYC, so just GETTING to airplanes is nontrivial).

I plan on using X-Plane 12 on a Mac laptop (because I have a Mac laptop and have X-Plane experience in the past). However, I splurged and just bought a Simionic G1000 setup figuring it's best to spend my $ on simulating my avionics first! This of course has me going down the rabbit hole of 'what to do now.' I had fantasies of picking up parted out instrument panel components to build a good dupe of the DA40 panel until I saw what certified parts cost (lol).

So, finally, my questions! Has anyone else put any time/$ into making a 'DA40-ish' sim setup? If so, do you have any recommendations for the following:
  • Instrument panel (to hold avionics)
  • Center stick (looking for 'close to same' or at least 'similar to DA40')
  • Throttle/prop/mixture controls (same as above, looking for 'as close as feasible')
  • Switch setups (either individual switches/controls, or modules that mimic DA40)
Thanks much! Whatever I end up with, I'll post a review back here, although it may take a few pay cycles to get going (and I may need to up my Macbook once i try XP12 on it).
gyro3816
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Registration: N886KC
Airports: KPTK

Re: DA40 Home Sim Components?

Post by gyro3816 »

I did an in depth sim setup for msfs2020. Prior to MS, I used the exact setup on Xplane with much success. Possibly you will find this link helpful.

viewtopic.php?t=8208
Adam
CSEL, CMEL, Instrument
N886KC DA40 XLS, G1000 w GFC700
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

Another helpful thread for you
I used to use XP11 (and FSX back in the day) but I've completely switched to MSFS with their latest G1000 updates. XP12 did not impress me.
jbz
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jacob
Aircraft Registration: NOTYET
Airports: KCDA KCDW

Post by jbz »

Thank you both very much! Clearly my search-fu needs work. Off to do my homework!
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

A Diamond-style stick is available from a Swiss company for c. €10k with force feedback etc or c. €1k from a Spanish company who hand make them to order… (I have one on order).
Keith
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Registration: N505JP
Airports: KLGC

Post by Keith »

I still have some parts from a salvage DA40 that I parted out.

I have a complete throttle quadrant assembly and likely the sticks.

Panel and switches are gone.

Not sure what kind of work you would need to do to adapt the Diamond parts to your sim controls..
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

Keith,
Please share the names of the companies that make the controls - Swiss and Spanish.

After a lot of research, I ordered the Aviatek G1000 panel - PFD and mfd. I’m buying a computer and screen from Microcenter. I’m getting a pre-built computer because I don’t have the interest or time to build a gaming computer. Getting 49” curved monitor.

I tried a Redbird but it’s basically a Cessna and although it allows me to “log” time, I don’t think it’s the best at building muscle memory essential for fastest emergency response. I’d rather get the most realistic practice than build time just for the sake of it.
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

Aviatek - they can make you a DA40 stick if you ask (not on website).

Brunner does the force feedback stick (perhaps it is used in the certified sim, not sure)
pisymbol
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alexander
Aircraft Registration: N263DS
Airports: N51

Post by pisymbol »

I would not invest in a force feedback stick. There is very little gain and the prices makes absolutely no sense.

For aircraft modeling, the DA40 under Xp12 is your best bet. MSFS is still very much immature though their G1000Nxi implementation is top notch from what I hear.

I would go with some basic HOTAS and maybe a Honeycomb Bravo quadrant. You can add G1000 bezels from Flightsimbuilders.com for a reasonable cost or go with your Simionic setup. I would also highly recommend PilotEdge for IFR work.
cereal_killer
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Seb
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Post by cereal_killer »

A few thoughts on simming DA40. MSFS is generally OK in flight so for IFR practice you will probably be OK. Ground effect and ground physics are not great however. The wheels seemingly have very little friction so the aircraft weathervanes like a paper kite and the ground effect feels very strong. As a result of the other two points, would recommend turning off wind gusts and just fly with steady wind otherwise you'll see fairly exaggerated behaviour. Also would say you can probably save yourself the money on avionics and get instead a VR headset with a good resolution.