smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KVGT

Re: DA-40 Defroster

Post by smoss »

Flying a few days ago I had an interesting frosting experience. At 11,000 MSL or so, essentially clear sunny day, -13 C outside, flew through this tiny isolated wispy cloud and the front canopy instantly frosted over inside. Nothing on the rear windows, or even the rear sides of the canopy. Not sure if the moisture made it inside, or if the temp just dropped enough there to cause the frost over. I tried wiping it off with a rag, but it was hard frozen on there. Cranked up the defrost to full, but as others have noted, my pilot side defrost vent puts out less than the right side, and while the right side cleared up pretty fast, my side didn't budge. I hadn't thought to try and increase EGT to peak, it was at about 1370 range. Ultimately, I turned off the 'defrost' and moved the heat selector to floor, and then it cleared up pretty quickly. It seems the defrost, at least on my plane, really restricts the total heat output. I have checked the hose connections, etc. in the past and they are all fine. Anyhoo, I had a bottle of TKS in the back and was about to try wetting a rag with it and then wiping down the frost when it cleared up by itself. Has anyone ever tried to wipe down the interior with TKS to prevent/remove frost, and if so, how big of a mess is it to remove afterwards?
Steve
DA40 XL
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

smoss wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:55 pm Flying a few days ago I had an interesting frosting experience. At 11,000 MSL or so, essentially clear sunny day, -13 C outside, flew through this tiny isolated wispy cloud and the front canopy instantly frosted over inside.
Strange experience! I haven't encountered that phenomenon, but I suppose the front canopy interior would be slightly colder than the rest of the interior surfaces due to the airstream, and the humidity increase and ambient temp drop going through the cloud was enough to create the frost. Essentially indoor freezing fog.

If you have a dry absorbant cloth towel, TKS fluid cleans up reasonably well, IMO. I don't think a paper towel would cut it, though, due to the viscosity. I don't think you'd want to apply it ahead of time since it would probably just bead up on the canopy.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

TKS is rather unpleasant and no fun to clean up. I wouldn't use it in the air on the inside of the plane.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Colin, unpleasant in what way? I tried it on my airport fridge freezer frost, and it seemed to work well and wipe out easily afterwards, but then of course, I wasn't trying to look through it.
Steve
DA40 XL
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I would be careful about using TKS fluid inside the cockpit. These Safety Data Sheets can be somewhat overdramatic, but the components of TKS do exhibit acute and chronic toxicities:

https://www.cav-systems.com/wordpress/w ... t-2017.pdf

I would be especially concerned about residue remaining on the canopy interior surfaces, and being volatilized by the warm defroster airflow. Susceptible individuals could experience blurred vision, tearing, and corneal epithelial toxicity from exposure. It often doesn't take much of an exposure in a relatively closed environment to cause trouble. I had a patient who had significant corneal toxicity from anti-fog agent on the interior of his face mask while SCUBA diving. He had used this chemical many times previously without difficulty, but almost always diving in cold water. This time, he was in the Gulf of Mexico, used a bit too much, didn't rinse thoroughly, and I postulated that the warm water increased the volatilization of the anti-fog agent.

Just my 2 cents...
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I found it a little caustic on my hands when I was filling once. And when I have cleaned it off the plane thinking it was water (I had run the FIKI but didn't realize at first how much keeps coming out after it is shut off and how the stuff sticks to the plane).
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Post by jwx96 »

Can anyone (Rich?) comment on the effect of a PowerFlow exhaust on the amount of cabin heat produced in a pre-2004 DA-40? I am considering upgrading when I do my engine overhaul. Thanks.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

jwx96 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:18 pm Can anyone (Rich?) comment on the effect of a PowerFlow exhaust on the amount of cabin heat produced in a pre-2004 DA-40? I am considering upgrading when I do my engine overhaul. Thanks.
The PF does produce hotter air for the cabin than the original exhaust system. The original system has an extra metal sheet around the muffler as a safety barrier against possible CO leaks. It has the effect of inhibiting heat exchange between the muffler surface and the intake air. I can't quantify the actual difference, though.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Have you pulled the cover off of the panel and looked at the hose? Is the hose kinked or damaged? I am pretty sure that is the only difference between the let and right sides of the defrost. They come from the same manifold. Check the hose from end to end.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

Have you pulled the cover off of the panel and looked at the hose? Is the hose kinked or damaged? I am pretty sure that is the only difference between the let and right sides of the defrost. They come from the same manifold. Check the hose from end to end.