4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Re: winter baffles & CHT Temps

Post by Lou »

Here’s some comparative numbers from last week with baffles in. -8C on the ground (2300’ ASL). -12C at 6500’. My usual warm up to 95 degrees and climbing. At 1000’ AGL oil temp had climbed to 120. Of course I forgot to write down the oil temp in cruise and the data card is at the airport, but it was lower than I thought, I recall 145 or so. At 2200 squared 75 ROP CHTs range from 310 to 355. 139 kts TAS. If I fly LOP in this weather the CHTs drop below 300, which I think is too cold.
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Lou wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:43 am... At 2200 squared ...
Have you tried crusing at 2400 or 2500 and WOT?
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Lou
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Louis
Aircraft Registration: CGXLO
Airports: CZVL

Post by Lou »

Yes. I never have overheating problems with baffles as long as it’s below zero. If there’s an inversion - common where we are - and the upper layer is warm (above zero) I have to manage it more carefully. Anything above about 380F CHTs I begin to watch. Running LOP is the easiest way to bring it down.
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

I tried my baffle again today after making several trips in the cold and oil temp never breaking 170. OAT on the ground was about 50 F, and in the air about 40 F to the altitude I climbed. As I recall happening many years ago when I tried it as well, the CHT's got hot very quickly on climb and cruise unless I ran very rich. The oil temp did, however, easily get to the 180- 195 range. As I understand it, the goal of oil temp above 180 F is to promote moisture evaporation from the oil to diminish corrosion, so my question is... which is more important, oil temps in the range, or cooler CHT's. Without the baffle, my oil temp seems to hover around 170 F in cruise around freezing temps. As others have stated, something that blocks just the oil cooler would be ideal, but the baffle as designed blocks the whole right side inlet, and taping the actual cooling intermittently for me just is not practical.
Steve
DA40 XL
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

smoss wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:58 pm which is more important, oil temps in the range, or cooler CHT's.
While it's a delicate balance, if I was pushing the high end of CHT's with the baffle, I would definitely pull the baffle in favor of lowering CHT's. Mike Bush has some excellent analysis on how much metal weakens as engine CHT's rise - it's an exponential curve with potential for catastrophic results.
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by smoss »

That has always been my inclination as well David. How about shoving a cork or equivalent in the oil cooler hose inlet from the outside. While I do not recall definitively how far back it is, I think it is reachable. Or even perhaps just fabricating a cork equivalent hooked to an arm that attaches to the baffle camloc insertion.
Steve
DA40 XL
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

smoss wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:50 am That has always been my inclination as well David. How about shoving a cork or equivalent in the oil cooler hose inlet from the outside. While I do not recall definitively how far back it is, I think it is reachable. Or even perhaps just fabricating a cork equivalent hooked to an arm that attaches to the baffle camloc insertion.
The oil cooler duct is a rather large oblong cross-section channel molded into the inside of the lower cowl. Fashioning a removable gizmo to insert into the front aperture to partially obstruct airflow would seem to be feasible.

To be clear, it is not part of that circular adapter that one must fight with when removing/installing the lower cowl. This latter supplies air for cabin heat/defrost, and cooling airflow to the alternator and battery compartment.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by smoss »

Ahh, thanks Rich. I was thinking it was one of the 2 small hoses you describe, which are in fact to the alternator and battery.
Steve
DA40 XL
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Post by jwx96 »

I live in MN and install the baffle (usually) when it gets below 15F. No problem with the CHTs at those temps but above that I have to watch the CHTs on the climbs, and above 30F I can’t use it. It is sort of a pain to install and remove. The baffle doesn’t seem to help the oil temp much in my plane which usually runs low. I am considering putting tape on the oil cooler but I haven’t done that yet. The oil analysis never show water in oil but maybe it evaporates by the time it gets to the lab.