2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marco
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: n920LA
Airports: KOWD

Re: ECU Failure Errors in Flight

Post by mbitran »

That's exactly what it was - it was the waste gate controller actuator. The actuator was replaced and the plane is now back in service - no further problems.
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

Did you file an SDR? I think it’s important that if the SBs relating to the waste gate controller haven’t corrected the issues, they should be recorded.
UTMark
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N100DA
Airports: KSPK

Post by UTMark »

UTMark wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:47 pm I’ve run into ECU Failures on takeoff now multiple times. They all ended up being non-latched, but I noticed that it typically has occurred for us on takeoff roll in really hot OATs (last one was last week out of St. George at 41C). I need to get my log files and send them in… which is a challenge because I don’t have a local mechanic with the cables/laptop to do that. Our errors cleared by switching over to the suspected back ECU.
Some of you are having worse symptoms than I am... I'm sorry for that.

I took off today out of Scottsdale. OAT was 110... but my co-pilot reminded me of something: Whenever we've turned off the RACC for takeoff, we haven't had that issue. And we were always having it on the left engine ECU. So we tested the theory today. Turned on the RACC for startup/taxi... turned it off right before takeoff, and back on again after we entered the climb phase of flight, and had no ECU failures.
KSPK, Spanish Fork, UT
N100DA DA-62 62.078
Karl
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Karl
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Post by Karl »

UTMark wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:47 pm I’ve run into ECU Failures on takeoff now multiple times. They all ended up being non-latched, but I noticed that it typically has occurred for us on takeoff roll in really hot OATs (last one was last week out of St. George at 41C). I need to get my log files and send them in… which is a challenge because I don’t have a local mechanic with the cables/laptop to do that. Our errors cleared by switching over to the suspected back ECU.
Have you completed MSB E4 029?

It is for damping pressure fluctuations in the MAP.
gkaplan
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gerry
Aircraft Registration: N234LA
Airports: KGED

Post by gkaplan »

Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved on the newer NGs? I have one on order due for delivery in March. This seems like a very troubling issue to deal with.
Gerry Kaplan
DA40-XLS 40-1160
KGED (Delaware)
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Gerry, if you're asking about MSB E4 029 that addressed the waste gate controller failure issue (which resulted in an over-boost condition at high power setting and an ECU FAIL notification - but not an ECU failure), the answer is yes. All new Austros come with this required modification.

The DA62 air conditioning (RACC) issues in this thread are unrelated. However, if your DA40NG has RACC, you should open the side/vent windows before performing your "run-up" ECU test when you have the RACC operating.
gkaplan
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gerry
Aircraft Registration: N234LA
Airports: KGED

Post by gkaplan »

chili4way wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:02 pm Gerry, if you're asking about MSB E4 029 that addressed the waste gate controller failure issue (which resulted in an over-boost condition at high power setting and an ECU FAIL notification - but not an ECU failure), the answer is yes. All new Austros come with this required modification.

The DA62 air conditioning (RACC) issues in this thread are unrelated. However, if your DA40NG has RACC, you should open the side/vent windows before performing your "run-up" ECU test when you have the RACC operating.
Thank you for responding. I was referring to the ECU FAIL due to waste gate controller. I did not order RACC in lieu of extra useful load.
Gerry Kaplan
DA40-XLS 40-1160
KGED (Delaware)