michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Austro Dongle with M1 Macs

Post by michael.g.miller »

I'm thinking about upgrading my clunker Intel MacBook Pro to an M1 MacBook Pro. Problem is, I want to be able to run engine diagnostics on it in AOG situations.

Has anyone tested the Austro Engine Wizard software with an M1 Mac (probably running under UTM)?
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Re: Austro Dongle with M1 Macs

Anyone out there with an M1 Mac and an Austro dongle? :)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

I've been planning the same thing myself. I have an M1 MacBook Pro and I've been running other Windows apps under Windows 11 and Parallels 18 with no problems. Today MS announced support for Windows running under Parallels on ARM machines.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft ... d-m2-macs/
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Post by jast »

I have an M1 mac and a dongle, however I have not tried to use it with Windows 11 under Parallels. I assume it should work, because Windows completely emulates x86 and x64 architectures and the AustroEngine software doesn’t need a lot of computational resources.

We actually put a cheap windows 10 laptop which supports USB charging (basically a no name windows tablet) where everything is correctly set up into the plane. So in case of an ECU failure you don’t have to first get the software up and running. 😅
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Airports:

ARM for Windows would certainly be nice, but I don't think you can run x86 drivers on it, which I'd assume are needed for the dongle. I'd guess you have to emulate full x86 Windows under UTM.

Anyone with a M1 Mac and dongle want to try and report back?
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

To clarify, Apple Silicon, M1, M2, etc. is ARM based. So the announcement from Microsoft is implicitly giving the green light to Apple processors to run Windows as a native app. But that doesn't address the apps which were compiled for x86 that are running on Windows.

Apple has their own emulation software running underneath everything else which does the x86 emulation. I'm writing this on my M1 Max MBP and the Activity Monitor shows there are 19 Intel processes running.

I expect that it will work with no problem.
RookieFlyer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ken
Aircraft Registration: NIL
Airports: NZAR

Post by RookieFlyer »

Boatguy wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:52 pm To clarify, Apple Silicon, M1, M2, etc. is ARM based. So the announcement from Microsoft is implicitly giving the green light to Apple processors to run Windows as a native app. But that doesn't address the apps which were compiled for x86 that are running on Windows.

Apple has their own emulation software running underneath everything else which does the x86 emulation. I'm writing this on my M1 Max MBP and the Activity Monitor shows there are 19 Intel processes running.

I expect that it will work with no problem.
While Apple Silicon is ARM based, it's not ARM as the rest of the world's ARM ecosystem know it. There are significant hardware differences in how interrupts and memory are handled, which means Microsoft would have to re-write significant portions of the Windows base code for it to run natively on Apple's silicon.

Given Apple's small market share outside of North America, I doubt Microsoft will invest in the changes needed for Windows on ARM run natively on Apple hardware. Also, the hacker community have tried and failed so far at building a 'normal' ARM to Apple ARM conversion layer to enable Windows to natively boot and run on Apple silicon.

Instead, what Microsoft have done, is give their blessing to licensing Windows on ARM inside a couple of MacOS virtualization apps. The catch is, the Windows on ARM's x86 emulation layer does not provide for x86 coded hardware drivers to run, and I would suggest this will very likely prevent the Austro dongle working 'as is'. That's not to say Austro couldn't in future rewrite their dongle driver code to overcome this limitation, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Updates from my experience with an M2 Macbook Pro running Wndows 11 under Parallels:
  • AE Wizard (1.3.15.446 released 2022-12-12) runs and can read/display previously recorded ECU data. You can review the data if your DASC provides you with the readout they also send to Austro.
  • It does NOT recognize the dongle, so you cannot download new information. You'll need an x86 Windows machine. It previously worked on an Intel MBP running Windows 10 under Parallels. RookieFlyer's prediction is correct.
  • The Garmin G1000 NXI PC Trainer (Archer - v20.81, P/N 010-12675-14) does NOT run correctly under Windows/Parallels on Apple Silicon MBP; it has graphics issues, particularly with displayed text. It previously worked on an Intel MBP running Windows 10 under Parallels. However, the PC Trainer Suite for GTN, G500/G600 TXi, GDU 620, GNX 375, GNC 355/355A, and GPS 175 runs properly.
I also attempted to run the Garmin Archer software under Wine/Crossover without success.
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Post by jast »

The new MacOS which will be released in fall has an Apple-made Game Emulation with DirectX 12 support based in Wine. Looks like even games like Diablo4 can run an M1/M2 macs, maybe this solves the issue with the G1000NXI Trainer!?
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

I got AE Wizard (1.3.15.446 released 2022-12-12) to download 30 hours of ECU data in 16 minutes using my M2 Macbook Pro, Parallels, and Windows 11.

30hours-16minutes.jpg
ECU-download-1.jpg

The key was installing the PEAK Systems driver for the x64 architecture from their website instead of the version that comes with the AE Wizard from the Austro website. I used the Apple USB-C to USB adapter to connect to the Austro CAN dongle.

This is not sanctioned or verified by Diamond or Austro but might be helpful in an AOG situation.

I have a ticket with Garmin about the G1000 NXI PC Trainer not working correctly.