2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bill
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: 62177
Airports: Kbfi

First 100 hours of flying.

Post by Jitters79 »

First 100 hours of ownership:

I took delivery of N62PZ with 34 hours on it on January 6. Myself and a Lifestyle employee picked it up from London, ON and flew it back to Raleigh, NC. That first flight in it was exhilarating. We took off in IFR conditions and proceeded south in IFR conditions. Prior to owning this plane I had a Cessna 206, so no experience with TKS or flying intentionally into icing conditions. We encountered ice! It was a great experience with a qualified CFI to understand what the plane could do. First takeaway, the TKS indication light in the cockpit is obnoxiously bright, especially at night. I have a piece of scotch tape and paper over the light, it’s bright enough that it still shines through the paper.

I flew around NC for a week before beginning my journey back to the PNW, getting more and more comfortable landing this plane in varying airport lengths and conditions, including First Flight (a lifelong checklist!). I got an IPC, a BFR and 15 hours of flight time before I departed NC.

Leg one from RDU to BNA was uneventful, we used exactly the amount of fuel that the G1000 had said we did. Slowly my confidence was building in the plane. Leg two BNA to TUL was a little more exciting. Halfway through we encountered a line of thunderstorms, an SR22, myself and a Cessna 410 were all trying varying ways to get through. Eventually we all made it, with the help of ATC, our onboard weather radar and nexrad. Second takeaway, it’s hard to use the onboard weather radar without any weather, but having an understanding of how it works and how to use it is important. CFI Dave has a really wonderful write up, I wish I would have read that before flying. Flying into TUL, we were IFR, ceilings were reported at 600’. We were on the RNAV for 18R and we had complete GPS failure, immediately went missed had ATC vectored us back around and at the exact same location GPS failure AGAIN! Went miss and asked for the ILS for 18L, we were sent around vectored back in and had a safe and sound landing. I suspect that there was GPS interference as I haven’t had that happen again. Though I have been leery of RNAV ever since.

The rest of the journey was completely uneventful, stopping in Sante Fe, and Salt Lake City, and finally Seattle (KBFI). To make it a proper coast to coast trip, I ran out to Astoria, Oregon. In the intervening time I have flown to KBOI and KOAK various other places around the PNW, and have done an Angel Flight. I’m excited to have this plane in my hangar, and absolutely love showing it off when I land at airports. I’m always very explicit when I fuel it that it takes Jet-A, and like to see the fuel truck show up.

Here’s items that I have bought for the plane for convenience: I’ll add to this as I discover new things. If you have little must haves add to this!
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: First 100 hours of flying.

Post by Boatguy »

I love the write up, keep it coming. A couple of other suggestions:

- travel chocks so you don't need to leave the brakes pressurized at airports with no FBO to chalk your tires
- I store my fuel tank sump device in an airtight food container to keep the Jet-A smell out of the plane.
- PLB just in case
- You've probably read the thread on the O2D2 and boom cannula
- Travel John?
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

Ha, you got to 100 in your 62 hours even faster than I did. Who will do your maintenance up there in the PNW?
Jitters79
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bill
Aircraft Registration: 62177
Airports: Kbfi

Post by Jitters79 »

Spanaflight at kplu will do the maintenance. They’ve done all the other maintenance for my previous planes, and have since become a diamond certified shop. They have a steady stream of diamonds. And the DOM is probably one of the nicest, most thorough mechanics I have met.
Borealis
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: LNWOW
Airports: ENGM

Post by Borealis »

You mention a write up on the weather radar. Where do I find that? We just got a new DA42, and are still trying to work out best practice for using the radar.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Borealis wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:24 am You mention a write up on the weather radar. Where do I find that? We just got a new DA42, and are still trying to work out best practice for using the radar.
Try this:
viewtopic.php?p=79871#p79871
You may find that entire thread helpful.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Jitters79 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:25 pm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QNYVWD5/re ... B9N3CQTYB2 Two of these one 9” and one 15”
Why two of different heights? Where do you use each?