ADS-B Wx while on the ground

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

ADS-B Wx while on the ground

Post by Boatguy »

I'd like to be able to view the ADS-B weather broadcast data, while at home. I'd like to compare what I'm seeing on other weather sources, with what I'd be seeing if I was in the plane.

There are lots of ADS-B traffic website and apps, but I haven't found one that shows the ADS-B weather. Is anyone aware of such a site or app?
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KVGT

Re: ADS-B Wx while on the ground

Post by smoss »

If you happen to still have a Scout receiver from days of the past, it should show ADS-B weather if you can pick up the towers from your house. I still have one buried in my hangar somewhere, and used to be able to pick up a signal from my house. If I remember, I'll bring it home next time and see what it shows now. The ADS-B stuff though is tower specific, so I think you'd only see weather in your own zone.
Steve
DA40 XL
gyro3816
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N886KC
Airports: KPTK

FIS-B Wx

Post by gyro3816 »

I think the precip FIS-B is still fundamentally the same as internet based NEXRAD - but at far lower resolution. In-air data is being sent to you via 978Mhz signal and is severely bandwidth limited - thus the crappy MFD weather image.
How to find a crappy, low res nexrad on the internet is anyones guess since most providers want to give you the best weather image possible not the choppy one.

Here’s some good info on FIS-B and other ADS-B features.
https://www.liveabout.com/what-is-fis-b-282560
Adam
CSEL, CMEL, Instrument
N886KC DA40 XLS, G1000 w GFC700