PPL, First Diamond and Short strips

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

wharepaku
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Ben
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports: WLG

PPL, First Diamond and Short strips

Post by wharepaku »

Hi there, thank you to the admins for approving my account. Lovely forum, I’ve been enjoying reading the accounts of all the owners, and using the resources recommended (gyronimo, windy, msfs, etc).

I’m down in Oceania and am working through my private pilots license on a cessna 172. I would like to be an owner pilot of a diamond in the coming years. I also own a small airstrip (800m long, 450m asphalt, the remainder grass) with a good approach with no obstacles over 50 feet between the end of the airstrip and the ocean. My airstrip is 190 nautical miles from the home airfield where I am learning to fly. There is an open water crossing and rugged terrain between my home airfield and the airstrip. I have made acquaintance with pilots who have flown in and out of my airstrip many times.

My question is, what would be a sensible progression as an owner pilot. I will complete the PPL in the 172, and get my cross country rating. I would ultimately like to end up in a DA62 (even if I can’t land it on my strip, there is a proper airfield available in the vicinity).

I was thinking that if I could lease a DA40 once I have my PPL, I could get used to a modern plane and get a few years of single engine experience, before purchasing a DA42, and then if that works well, upgrade to a DA62. I like the DA62 for the 6 seater club seating, safety record, and enjoyment to fly. I have some unusual vehicles which are complex to maintain, so I have had experience with high servicing costs, but I am very new to flying.

I understand diamonds are not perfect short strip planes, and if I was flying with family or friends or a full load I would put in at the nearby commercial airfield, but I would love to on ocassion, with my instructor alongside me, fly into my strip. Is this achievable in a DA40 or DA42? I believe the DA62 is too large, even if I extended the asphalt strip to 600+m.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Re: PPL, First Diamond and Short strips

Post by Colin »

If you have interested in a DA62 then you have resources. I do not believe leasing a DA40 is a good use of resources. I would buy a used one, fly it for the next three to five years, get your instrument rating, and then order your DA62 and keep flying your DA40 until you have to sell it to make the final payment on the DA62.

I began flying my DA40 when I had 90 hours or so. I flew into a strip that was 2,350 and I don't recall any issues with it. There was a good headwind both times I did it, but I don't think you will have an issue. Obviously, practice on something larger and note where you are stopping or where the wheels are leaving the ground on take off.

The DA62 is not club seating.

The DA62 needs 480m for take off and a ground distance of 390m for landing. So it seems like you could do it with your current strip.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Welcome Ben!

I suggest you register on the Diamond Pilots Association website (diamond-pilots.org) and go to the Handy References and Links page, then follow the link to Diamond technical pubs. Download the AFMs for the planes that are of interest and study the performance tables to make your assessment.

As pilot in command, it's always your decision where to land and when to take off.
pisymbol
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alexander
Aircraft Registration: N263DS
Airports: N51

Post by pisymbol »

I would definitely get your instrument in the DA40 before even considering a DA62.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

If the 62 is your destination aircraft, I see no advantage to owning a 42 first. They have very similar systems and handling characteristics. Granted, the 62 is larger and heavier. Neither the 42 nor 62 is much of a short-field performer, though I have little experience with airfields at altitudes close to sea level (my home field sits at 5119’ MSL).
wharepaku
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Ben
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports: WLG

Post by wharepaku »

Thanks Colin - sorry you’re right I meant the lounge seatings (2+2+2, my car has that and I enjoy it).

Thanks for the advice - that sounds like a sensible progression. I’ll ask my instructor if I can swap my training to the G1000 equipped C172’s, and start the search for a DA40 after my PPL, and then get my instrument rating in it. I would only intend to do the flight to my strip in VFR conditions, but it’s far enough and the weather changes so fast down here that having my instrument rating before I look at a DA62 makes perfect sense now I think about it.

What parameters would I be searching for, for a good first plane in the used DA40 market?
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

It depends on how you learn and what resources you are willing to throw at the problem.

For me, every hour I spent flying the G1000 in the DA40 helped make the transition to the DA42 easier and safer. When I was flying a single-engine approach in the TwinStar I wasn't worried about how to bring up the approach to the airport, that was all muscle memory from over a thousand hours in the DA40. It all builds on the same experiences.

In that vein, I would want WAAS and the GFC-700, which is the autopilot you will have in the DA62. I had to fly with the KAP140 in our DA40, and for a short time in our DA42, and I really wish I had upgraded that soon. FLC (Flight Level Change) is a tremendously safer way to climb to a different altitude. If I were buying a used DA40 today I would spend the extra money to get WAAS and GFC-700 because I also feel those planes are going to hold their value better.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)