4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

AOG - RH fuel indicator acting up

Post by mfdutra »

Well, my brand new DA62 (62.C053) didn't take long to go AOG just a few weeks after delivery. That's quite disappointing.

At least I have the luxury of having a good service center in my home base. They found out the probe of the inner chamber in the RH main tank failed. Believe it or not, that requires the entire wing to be removed, so they can access the tanks and the faulty probe.

The KOEL says I need 2 fuel indicators working. In the picture, you can see I have 3 of them working. I also have the alternate means apparatus. I was debating with the service center yesterday if I'm indeed not airworthy until the replacement parts arrive. I think I am. Thoughts?
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Re: AOG - RH fuel indicator acting up

Post by Pehu »

Had a similar incident with mine. RH side stopped working (or worked now and then, mostly not, or showed bad readings). The culprint was some TKS or moisture in the probe's circuitboard. I heard the new version of the probe fixed this issue. Or you just have faulty probe to beging with. Did this start to happen when in moist weather or when using TKS?

And yes, changing this it requires removal of the wing :)

I was flying with mine even with RH probe was misbehaving. Since the consumption for both engines are pretty similar, I was ok when I just had LH reading available. I also kept AUX tanks full as much as possible, IF it would have happened there is a leak and I run out of fuel. I always checked leaks in preflight anyways.
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by mfdutra »

Mine is actually acting up. It works some times and when it does, the indication is correct.

The first time I noticed was indeed after an IMC flight with some icing. But I had done quite a bit of IMC/icing before as well with no issues.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I find regulations extremely opaque and difficult to understand. I admit that when my right fuel gauge was being erratic I flew back and forth to the shop a number of times. Always with more than half a tank of fuel in both sides, often with both tanks topped off. I figured that the chance of running dry was very, very, very small. If I did, that's why I had two engines. Also, I figured I would see some fuel pressure fluctuations first and I would flip on the cross feed.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by mfdutra »

Indeed. Technically, I'm not afraid to fly at all. But I don't want to engage in willful violation either.
Pehu
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Pekka
Aircraft Registration: ESTWN
Airports: LSZL

Post by Pehu »

mfdutra wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:01 pm Mine is actually acting up. It works some times and when it does, the indication is correct.

The first time I noticed was indeed after an IMC flight with some icing. But I had done quite a bit of IMC/icing before as well with no issues.
So exactly what happened to me too. Was ok the first year, then quite heavy moisture over alps at FL180 and got the crosses on RH fuel quantity. Took me a while to figure what the heck at night in full IMC and bad weather around :)

Anyways my shop tried to fix this by putting some silicon to the circuit board, but that didn't work. The probe was changed to a new one as warranty job. I would say plane is flyable while you wait for the replacement part.

Actually, another DA62 in the same field suffered from the same issue, so this isn't one isolated thing. But the info I got, the new probe version is less prone to this behaviour. Anyways, whatever the reason for your faulty probe, get it fixed and no need for AOG in my opinion. FAA rules might be different than here in EASA land, but my camo didn't ground the plane.
ES-TWN / DA62 #62.155
OH-ASM / DA40NG #N_399 (sold)
OH-WOW / DA40NG #N_328 (co-ownership, sold)
Based in Locarno, Switzerland
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

OSB 62-040 Rev. 0 Just issued to address this. I’ll post later today.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by mfdutra »

That's for serials C039 and prior. My airplane is supposed to have already the probe with sealed connectors. It still failed anyways.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

mfdutra wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:11 pm That's for serials C039 and prior. My airplane is supposed to have already the probe with sealed connectors. It still failed anyways.
Yes, though this may be useful to others. Sounds like they need a better seal, or it was improperly installed.
Attachments
SB62-040-O-0-fuel-probes-with-sealed-connectors.pdf
(228.89 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by mfdutra »

Yeah. My SC checked for TKS leaks and it was all clean.

I talked to a friend at Embraer and they've seen some probe issues in the Phenoms as well. Really not common, but it happens.