5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

DA20-C1 Loses Nosewheel, Lands Safely

Post by chili4way »

This was on the national news this evening, although the incident happened last Friday, March 24. There is also a recording of the radio traffic condensed from LiveATC.

TL:DR - Student pilot lands DA20-C1 safely in Pontiac, Michigan (KPTK) after losing her nosewheel on rotation. An experienced pilot/CFI preparing to depart saw it and talked her safely down.

News Story (video)
Audio Recording (YouTube)
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: DA20-C1 Loses Nosewheel, Lands Safely

Post by Steve »

Comms with radar tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USW53vdL_0c

Great job by all concerned.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

All kept their composure. The student knew that a soft-field procedure was called for and given that, it's no big deal for the pilot. Only the insurance company shall weep.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

It is surprising maintenance problems like this don't happen more often. I don't know how the DA20 nosewheel is connected, but brings back some maintenance PTSD of likely losing one of my main wheels had I not been present and supervising a routine tire change. Two mechanics from a high end local shop (I was the only Diamond on the field back then) changing both main tires on my plane... jack up the plane, swap the tires, each mechanic takes one wheel each and installs them. Well, one does it right, and the other one could not get the cotter pin equivalent bolt through the axle cap and inner axle hole, despite wrenching on the cap with pliers to my horror. Now if you haven't installed a DA40 main wheel yourself yet, instead of a nut with a cotter pin through it (like on the DA40 nosewheel), it has a big "cap" that screws onto the axle, and then a bolt that goes like a cotter pin through the cap and axle. The tolerances on mine are pretty tight and unless you get them lined up exactly they won't go, but with finesse it is no problem. So the professional mechanic decides it just won't go through the hole it came out of 30 minutes ago, and he puts it back instead through a hole near the end/base of the cap... which being familiar with the cap setup I am well aware does NOT go through the axle, as you could easily tell by looking at it (perhaps they are drain holes). The other mechanic looks at it as well and says it fine. I get into a fight with them, them both insisting it is acceptable, then walk to the wheel and easily unscrew the cap with my hand. Both mechanics seem unfazed as they concede they were wrong. There is no doubt at all, had I not been there to stop this, the wheel would have quickly fallen off during use. The cap spins pretty easily and without the bolt, it would be a quick loss. Another time, I had both mags overhauled by a well known and respected shop, and 1 of the 2 mags came back without a cotter pin through the nut holding on the drive gear! I made them take apart both mags again and reinspect everything as I had little faith at that point.
Steve
DA40 XL
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Two possible/likely failure points:

1. The nut that holds the nose wheel beam on the pivot is a castle nut (DA40 is a lock nut). Leave the cotter key off and ...
2. Like the DA40, the base of the nose wheel pivot requires periodic dye penetrant inspection. So this is an identified failure point. If not properly and sufficiently performed (and maybe even if it is)...
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Davestation
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: D-JET
Aircraft Registration: NDJET
Airports: KFTW

Post by Davestation »

Since it departed on takeoff it was obviously the lack of nut/pin. I have heard of the DA40 fork coming off at least once as well. Someone didn't want to spend the $1 for a new locknut.
laduke09
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Andy
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N390JA
Airports: KPTK

Post by laduke09 »

I train at that school.. saw the plane in the hangar after. It was a nut/pin. It fractured and fell off. It's not visible during preflight. All I can do I guess is keep working on my soft field landing techniques!!
francismolloy
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Francis
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: 57AZ

Post by francismolloy »

Why is it not visible? where is it located?