2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N905PA
Airports: KDWH

Diamond Fly-in To Sun 'n Fun (KLAL) March 28-April 2, 2023

Post by saramse »

Most of you are now aware of the imminent formation of the Diamond Pilots Association (DPA).............so,

Please join us for our 2nd Diamond Pilots Association Fly-in event of 2023 (the first was at Buckeye, AZ) being held at what has become known as “Spring Break for Pilots”, the 49th Annual SUN ‘n FUN Expo in Lakeland, FL (KLAL) March 28 – April 2, 2023. This will be a great opportunity to meet other Diamond owners and pilots, to share travel plans, maintenance tips and ultimately enhance your Diamond flying experience.

Planned DPA activities include:
1) Group dinner on Friday, March 31st after the Blue Angels, 6:00pm at Abuelo’s, 3700 Lakeside Village Blvd.
2) Possible Fly-out to the Shuttle Landing Facility (Fly-by) and/or Key West (depending on # RSVP’s & weather)

Sun ‘n FUN began in 1974 for sport aviation enthusiasts, but has grown into one of the largest and most successful aviation events on earth, probably 2nd only to AirVenture in Oshkosh. Diamond pilots flying into SUN ‘n FUN will see hundreds of aircraft of all shapes and sizes. To serve all those flying in, a major trade show is part of SUN ‘n FUN. Over 500 exhibitors have an incredible lineup of products and services, hands-on workshops teach hundreds of building and maintenance skills, and dozens of forums educate pilots and maintainers about safety, new products, and an infinite number of other timely topics. SUN ‘n FUN of course has world-famous daily and night airshows that feature breathtaking displays from dozens of military and civilian performers (like those shown below).

There are always many Diamonds at SUN ‘n FUN, let’s make it even bigger this year! Please RSVP via Reply to this post or PM me.
gyro3816
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Registration: N886KC
Airports: KPTK

Re: Diamond Fly-in To Sun 'n Fun (KLAL) March 28-April 2, 2023

Post by gyro3816 »

I’ll be flying down from Michigan 31Mar-02Apr. Planning to land at Tampa Executive due to hotel accommodations. I would like to join up with other diamond owners while in town.
Adam
CSEL, CMEL, Instrument
N886KC DA40 XLS, G1000 w GFC700
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

gyro3816 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:00 pmPlanning to land at Tampa Executive due to hotel accommodations.
Flying into Tampa Executive KVDF works well when attending Sun N Fun (unless you're camping at KLAL).

I learned NOT to fly into Lakeland (KLAL) Airport during the event, because in multiple years the Blue Angels decided to hold unscheduled/unannounced practices at KLAL, causing the Lakeland airport airspace to shut down with no warning. You check all the NOTAMs before takeoff from your home field, start your 4-hour flight(s) down south to Florida, and discover half-way there that you'll need to divert to a different airport like Zephyrhills -- where you're forced to wait on the ground for hours with dozens of other Sun N Fun pilots who also diverted. This is followed by a crazy "rush hour" as everyone tries to fly into Lakeland when it reopens.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
saramse
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N905PA
Airports: KDWH

Post by saramse »

Dave, thanks for the input. I have flown into SunNFun many times and never encountered an issue like you describe, so I would encourage any that want to get ready to Fly-in to Oshkosh to fly directly into Lakeland (SunNFun is like a mini Oshkosh). I have always parked my DA40 at the FBO (Sheltair), they are very accommodating and provide easy access to the Airshow (park your car at the FBO, their van takes you to/from the Entrance), so you can avoid parking with the masses. They also have great viewing of the night airshow from their ramp, with comfy chairs and free beverages.

Lastly, I just made my reservation on AirBNB last night for $65/night (Private Bed/Bath) just S of downtown Lakeland (walking distance to all the good restaurants), so you don't have to stay at an expensive Hotel.

Reply or PM me if anybody else has any questions. Looking forward to meeting many of you at SunNFun! Our group dinner is scheduled for Friday, March 31st after the Blue Angels, 6:00pm at Abuelo’s, 3700 Lakeside Village Blvd (very close to the Airshow).
Joey
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joey
Aircraft Registration: N633DC
Airports: KJGG

Post by Joey »

Sorry I missed you. I was there thurs and Friday. Look footprints the next fly in.
Joey Ritchie
DA40 XLS 40.940
JGG Williamsburg VA