5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Using iPhone as ForeFlight EFB platform

Post by Boatguy »

I've long seen some aspects of Foreflight to be entirely redundant with the G1000 on the panel. Several posters reference using Foreflight to follow the geo-referenced approach plates. I can see why this would be useful on a legacy G1000 plane as that system is much fussier about which waypoints are loaded, and doesn't display waypoint altitudes.

In an NXi equipped plane, once the procedure is loaded, either with vectors to final or a specific IAF, the whole approach is in the flight plan, on the MFD map, and on the MFD traffic page, with waypoint crossing altitudes. It will also be mirrored in FF with the automatic transfer from the panel via FSxxx. After briefing the approach, I find the geo-referenced plate to be redundant, and much lower resolution, than the MFD. Either when it becomes obvious which waypoint the controller is setting me up to intercept, or I actually get an approach clearance, I use "Activate Leg" for lateral guidance and VNV (or CWS), if needed, for vertical guidance. Then the panel is giving me distance and time to the next waypoint, as well as a moving map locating me relative to the approach.

But it looks like I'm the exception and many pilots want to see where they are on the approach plate. I must be missing something. What is the geo-referenced approach plate providing that the panel is not?
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

In my case only the horizontal path is depicted. Everything having to do with altitudes is missing. FF, even not displaying the plate does provide the altitude for the various legs and waypoints. But the plate has stuff still missing, such as minimums, details of the MAP and sometimes notes and notams related to the procedure. As I’ve said before the EFB is far more valuable to me given the realities of my panel.

There are also certain operations that are best done on the EFB and sent to the panel at the appropriate time. One example is amending flight plans in certain circumstances. I’m flying on one plan while designing the pending one. I do this all the time in training situations.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

So - another tweak. With the LS Delta Zulu it's worth having the iPhone paired directly with the headset to be able to use the LS app if desired. The complication is that as a practical matter the DZ will only connect to one BT device at a time. Well, duh, with FF running on the iPhone I don't need to connect the headset to the iPad for audio, since my only reason for doing so is FF audio alerts, which the iPhone/FF hookup provides.

The fact that I now have an iPhone 14 Pro cleans the cockpit up a bit, as battery life in this model is MUCH improved, so I don't have to provide power for it in flight. The aforementioned epiphany also removes the usefulness of the BluLink 2 so that eliminates a nonessential control box from the cockpit.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5