4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: KPCM

Re: NLG Replacement Rubber

Post by RMarkSampson »

Copy - I'll be checking prop clearance as a criteria based measurement though I don't think my hangar floor is level to a .1" tolerance. If your nose is sagging it probably means the pucks are not really compressed anymore - maybe hard as rocks. When I changed out my pucks, the stack on new pucks was at least one puck taller than the stack of old pucks - that was how much elasticity was lost.

Per replacing the pucks, I can't remember the cost of the pucks from Diamond, not cheap I am sure. A manufacture source would be nice. Per the install time, maybe two hours for someone that has run that rabbit trail before - with owner hands assisting. It was a half-day job as I recall but my A&P was a flying friend that did not punch a clock and we took our time to look over everything and followed the AMM exactly. I remember the bolt holding the NLG pivot pin in place being awkward and a slow wrench turning effort. Also, I remember a couple of small rivets to replace.

NLG puck replacement is time and money well spent - I spot landed with a slow stall horn squawking approach speed once a while back where I let my AOA get way too high. The tail skid touched with the mains and the aircraft sprang back forward onto the NLG. That is when you really want your NLG pucks to perform. I have since declared spot landing challenges off limits - too much focus on the spot and not enough on a smooth landing...

One final recommendation - closely inspect the two sealed bearings in the NLG hub. Turn them slowly and feel for any "grittiness" when they rotate. They also take the force of any NLG-heavy landing. The bearings Diamond sells were from a manufacture that sells $10 (cheap) bearings (marked up by Diamond). When I replaced those bearings I reinstalled a $30 German-engineered variety - sold to me by a bearing expert on what bearings to actually purchase. Now smooth as silk...
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

RMarkSampson wrote:Per replacing the pucks, I can't remember the cost of the pucks from Diamond, not cheap I am sure. A manufacture source would be nice. Per the install time, maybe two hours for someone that has run that rabbit trail before - with owner hands assisting. It was a half-day job as I recall but my A&P was a flying friend that did not punch a clock and we took our time to look over everything and followed the AMM exactly. I remember the bolt holding the NLG pivot pin in place being awkward and a slow wrench turning effort. Also, I remember a couple of small rivets to replace.
See post #2 in this thread...

Steve
CWS
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Cyril
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N146DR
Airports: FASD

Post by CWS »

Steve wrote:
RMarkSampson wrote:Per replacing the pucks, I can't remember the cost of the pucks from Diamond, not cheap I am sure. A manufacture source would be nice.
See post #2 in this thread...

Steve
Spot on Steve, I also got my pucks from Berger Tools, well worth the effort. They even machined the pucks down to the correct thickness. Cost was very reasonable ( about 1/10 of what I was quoted locally IIRC)
Cyril
JohnE
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Airports: KENW

Post by JohnE »

I finally got around to replacing my "pucks". I ended up borrowing a spring / strut compressor at AutoZone to compress them together enough to get the nut on there.

Here is a link to the tool:

https://www.harborfreight.com/macpherso ... gLugvD_BwE

You do have to fiddle with it a little bit but it really wasn't too difficult.

Also. I have a set of new "pucks" for the DA20-A1 and C1 models. I would sell them for cost. Shipping was expensive, so I purchased 2 sets. Feel free to contact me for exact pricing and/or pictures.
lukepalmer
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Luke
Aircraft Type: DA20
Aircraft Registration: N223DC
Airports:

Post by lukepalmer »

Does anyone happen to know the correct hardness of DA20 NLG pucks?

I think they are 50mm x 20mm (please correct if not) but haven't been able to locate anything specific about how stiff the elastomers are meant to be.

Thanks!