1 Diamond Member
First Name: Jacob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N722PA
Airports: KCRQ

Left wing spare parts

Post by jspoelstra »

Hello,

I had to replace the left wing on my 2006 DA40XL after a ground incident caused damage the outer parts. The old wing + a bunch of paraphernalia now remains at the maintenance shop at KCRQ. Please contact me if any of the items below, or part/all of the wing interest you.

Album

Cheers,
JS
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Re: Left wing spare parts

Post by Charles K »

Wow - what happened? Thanks for sharing those photos! Always nice to be able to see the spars and internals we normally do not see.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
jspoelstra
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Jacob
Aircraft Registration: N722PA
Airports: KCRQ

Post by jspoelstra »

One of the pilots I share the place with somehow veered off the runway during take-off and hit (destroyed) one of the signs. Luckily no injuries or other damage.

Insurance paid for the replacement, but the process was quite an ordeal. Took almost exactly one year. First about 3 months to decide whether to fix or replace, then not trivial to place an order for new wing. Diamond had to specially find a production slot (they don't carry a stash of spare wings). About 5 months to receive the new wing, then we found out that it isn't a question of simply bolting on the new wing. Turns out that to our knowledge this is the first wing being installed in the field!

The bushings are not glued in by the factory. The holes are designed with some play so that the wing can be mated with the body at exactly the right dihedral. Also not your local Home Depot epoxy. So, another 3 months for the shop to get the proper instructions from Diamond and materials + build rigging to install the bushings. Then they had to figure out how to heat-cure the epoxy (another custom box).

I've added a few more photos of the process...
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

Wow - yes great no one hurt! That is the most important!!!

Thanks for the extra info - no photos on the thread anymore that I can see.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

Wow! That looks like an intense process. Feels weird to see it - I have a couple dozen hours in that plane from getting my PPL. :)