4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Re: Data Card File structures

Post by dmloftus »

This thread mentions loading .ace files onto the MFD SD card. The latest version of the Garmin editor looks like it only outputs .gcl files. Will a legacy G1000 recognize either? A note on the Garmin checklist editor download page mentions that .ace files are no longer supported on newer systems. Since which version is this true? Nxi only? I'm assuming 0321.23 runs both, correct?

https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... p?id=12032

Notes:
This tool can be used to generate checklists for G1000 NXi and G2/3/5000 integrated flight deck systems.
The file format for the checklist file is .gcl
This file format is compatible with platforms that use GDU SW v20.x and later. Checklist files in .ace format will not work on new systems.
For Garmin G300, G3X cockpit display systems, GPSMAP 695/696, aera 796/795 and GTN with software 5.13 or higher, please use the legacy checklist editor at Checklist Editor (Legacy)
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dmloftus »

Bringing this topic back, hopefully for comment. Garmin editor saves only in gcl format. Loaded my edited gcl onto MFD lower SD card. No CHKLIST softkey appeared. Running 0321.23 on a 2008 DA40XLS with GFC700 so it should be there. Any ideas? Do I need to rename the file to chklist.ace?
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

dmloftus wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:26 pmBringing this topic back, hopefully for comment. Garmin editor saves only in gcl format. Loaded my edited gcl onto MFD lower SD card. No CHKLIST softkey appeared. Running 0321.23 on a 2008 DA40XLS with GFC700 so it should be there. Any ideas? Do I need to rename the file to chklist.ace?
I can't speak about how things work in the Nxi version, but as far as I know, the 0321.23 software only supports the chklist.ace file format. I believe the .gcl format is completely different - and I would be surprised if 0321.23 supported it. There is a different software tool (called "Checklist_Editor", I think) that allows you to modify the chklist.ace files. I used to have a copy of it - I can look for it if you need it. I'm pretty sure you can't just rename a .gcl file to .ace and expect it to work...

Also, the version just before 0321.23 (was it 0321.22 - I can't remember) did NOT support the checklist files at all, although earlier versions DID support it. Garmin took it out, but then put it back in with 0321.23 - not sure why. I think all of this is documented here on the DAN somewhere, but I didn't have time to look for it.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Johnrschaefer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N669PS
Airports: KJYO

Post by Johnrschaefer »

Not sure if this is the best thread, since most comments seem to relate to a checklist file. But, does anyone have the secret to create a new SD cards for a 2006 XL? I'd love to have backup cards, be able to update the cards at home, and simply swap cards next trip to the airplane. Every attempt to create a new SD card for the G1000 has failed.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

John:
There are old threads that discuss how to do this, but creating new or backup SDCards is relatively straightforward. For legacy G1000, you use the flyGarmin app on your PC to download the desired database files onto an SDCard for the PFD, and another SDCard for the MFD. Cards usually don't need to be reformatted since they typically come from retailers in the desired FAT/FAT32 format. I've had good luck with SanDisk brand cards (which is also what Garmin uses).

The trick in 2023 is finding SDCards that are small enough capacity. Your plane's hardware/software is old enough that you're probably limited to a maximum SDCard size of 8 GBytes (maybe that's why your previous attempts have failed?)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Johnrschaefer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N669PS
Airports: KJYO

Post by Johnrschaefer »

Thanks Dave - I've done just that using 8 Gbyte cards, with no luck. Maybe I need smaller than 8? Maybe I need to shop the antique shops! I'll try again just in case I screwed something up while I wasn't looking.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by dmloftus »

Rick wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:22 pm I can't speak about how things work in the Nxi version, but as far as I know, the 0321.23 software only supports the chklist.ace file format. I believe the .gcl format is completely different - and I would be surprised if 0321.23 supported it. There is a different software tool (called "Checklist_Editor", I think) that allows you to modify the chklist.ace files. I used to have a copy of it - I can look for it if you need it. I'm pretty sure you can't just rename a .gcl file to .ace and expect it to work...

Also, the version just before 0321.23 (was it 0321.22 - I can't remember) did NOT support the checklist files at all, although earlier versions DID support it. Garmin took it out, but then put it back in with 0321.23 - not sure why. I think all of this is documented here on the DAN somewhere, but I didn't have time to look for it.
I did dig up the older editor for legacy G1000 checklists. Looks like it was last updated in 2010. It is VERY basic. But it will take the Diamond Aircraft .ace file and let you edit it for your own use.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... sp?id=5075

BTW, the Help function is not supported anymore, it must be a dead link. I had played around with the newer .gcl editor so I was able to figure out the basics with the older version. Someone grabbing the old editor with no Help function might have a more difficult time figuring it out.
As mentioned earlier, the latest checklist editor only outputs .gcl files for Nxi and other newer Garmin platforms.

After playing with both, I'll probably stick with my Checkmate cards and Foreflight checklists. Navigating the .ace checklist on the MFD is a bit unwieldy. Plus you lose the engine page and moving map while you are screwing with the checklist on the MFD.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

dmloftus wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:26 pm Plus you lose the engine page and moving map while you are screwing with the checklist on the MFD.
You can have the engine page at the same time with checklist on the MFD and you can have moving map on PFD inset - small but still usable.