1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: jason
Aircraft Type: DA20
Aircraft Registration: C-GIIM
Airports: BUTTONVILLE

Landing Tips DA 20

Post by jason »

I have a similar problem in my Da 20 that Bob has in his DA 40. My instructor wants 70 knots on
final and I am having problems greasing my landings. What speed do I want after the final notch
of flaps? Should I use the POH numbers and forget what my instuctor says?
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Re: Landing Tips DA 20

Post by Gary »

jason wrote:I have a similar problem in my Da 20 that Bob has in his DA 40. My instructor wants 70 knots on
final and I am having problems greasing my landings. What speed do I want after the final notch
of flaps? Should I use the POH numbers and forget what my instuctor says?
Does your instructor have a boatload of DA20 experience?
jason
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: jason
Aircraft Registration: C-GIIM
Airports: BUTTONVILLE

Post by jason »

No he does not. He is a high time Cirrus guy.
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

What does the manual specify for landing speeds? Cirri land fast. Low and slow in a Cirrus can get you killed so I wonder if he is biased by flying the other airplane. Hopefully, some DA20 owners will help you out here.
alexanderk
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: alexanderk
Airports: CYPK

Post by alexanderk »

Disclaimer - this is coming from a 65 hour guy :) But all of my training was on the Katana and C1.

60 knots on final, 55 over the numbers. 70 is way way high, it is hard enough to put the C1 down even at 55 (more so than the Katana, it just keeps gliding). With 70 you will use up most of the runway before you actually land, it is just not safe if you need to go around.

I would use 70 only if no T/O or landing flaps used, or in very strong or gusty cross-wind. For all intents and purposes, we are doing the slow flight exercises, 30 degree turns etc at 45 knots. And this is straight and level flight, maintaining altitude. So you do have your safety margin above stall speed if you do your approach at 60.
Diamond13
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Registration: CYXU
Airports: CYXU

Post by Diamond13 »

Your safest, and best numbers that will give you a "PASS" on your ride, are in the book. Trust me, I helped write it and have been flying the C1 since before it was Type Certified. Have a 'sit-down' with your instructor and the POH (Pilots Operating Handbook) and go over the numbers together, and tell him you would like to try those numbers, it's your money! D13
alexanderk
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by alexanderk »

Here we go, an expert advice - 52 knots for normal approach, landing flaps. Glad we have you on the board. I'll try today, so far I was a bit cautious not to go below 55.

Two questions to D13 if I can, even with 55 it tends to be susceptible to sinking too much sometimes on short final. Won't it be more pronounced at 52?

And the second one - would the POH address the MT prop controversy at some point in time? It does it for the Sensenich, stating the 1764lb MTOW increase. But it would have to go back to 1653 with the MT prop which is sad. And does not make sense...
Diamond13
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Registration: CYXU
Airports: CYXU

Post by Diamond13 »

Keep in mind two things:
1. POH says Landing Approach, flaps T/O speed to 78 max.(use this until u know u will make field)
2. POH says Landing Approach, flaps LDG speed 52 (use this when u know u will make field)
Remember, your intent is to land, floating not good, sinking good! If you change plan and decide not to land, go around!
and what exactly is your question about the MT? D13............
alexanderk
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by alexanderk »

Re: MT prop - the Supplement 4 states that the MTOW increase is granted to the C1 equipped with the Sensenich prop. Everywhere else the POH states the original MTOW of 1665. The MT prop STC states that "there is no MTOW change", but does not state any numbers. So this makes you to go to the original MTOW number, at least in Canada? In Europe and US there seem to be cert papers available giving the MTOW of 800kg, but not in Canada. So I wanted to see if I am all confused, or ....?
Alex
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Al
Aircraft Type: DA20-A1
Aircraft Registration: N858DF
Airports: KTOA

Post by Alex »

I have about 100 hours in the 20s, most of it in the Katana. The POH works well for landing but I like to carry 65 on final and 60 over the threshold. Once the speed crosses below 60, it drops off kinda fast and takes a lot of power (up to 2100 RPM) to slow down a high sink rate. 70 is too much unless you deliberately want a long rollout. That said, the 20s are very forgiving and tend to go where you want them to without having to worry as much as other planes on a precise airspeed.

Takeoff is another matter. With a passenger, I find the POH rotation speed to be too slow. The nose just does not want to come off at near gross. Oh it will try at Vr, but it tends to skip a few hops and generate some unnecessary nose shimmy. Ride it out an extra 7kts, pitch for 9 degrees and let it fly off gently on it's own.