DA42-VI Ferry Flight to North America

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Re: DA42-VI Ferry Flight to North America

Post by photoSteveZ »

CFIDave wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:06 pm My flight "across the pond" when I wrote this was more than 8 years ago.

However, I've heard that if you cross Greenland via a more northerly route (that includes CYXP, BGSF and BGKK and avoiding Narsarsuaq?), you don't need an HF radio. I don't know if this is "new" or not.
I’ve read that it’s CYFB (Iqaluit, Frobisher Bay), BGSF and BKKK, but yeah, that’s my understanding. I take it the possibility was not discussed in the planning for your crossing.
Ed McDonald
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ed
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: CFPWP
Airports: CFB6

Re: DA42-VI Ferry Flight to North America

Post by Ed McDonald »

According to the Canadian AIM https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/public ... m-tp-14371 page 344/480 one can fly the North Atlantic without HF provided one follows a route specified in the Planning Section C of the Canadian Flight Supplement (CFS). Being Canada where the AIM is published by Transport Canada and the CFS is published by NAV CANADA, the reference is no longer valid.

However, page 361/480 of the AIM provides the VHF frequency coverage and routing. Below FL195 the routing is YFB (Iqualuit) - SF (Sondestrom)-KFV (Keflavik).

I don't have access to a Greenland topographic chart however having flown over Southern Greenland scores of times at FL310 and above, the idea of going over Greenland is not appealing unless one has 02 and are prepared to be flying well above 10,000 ft. Going into Sondestrom would not be fun on a bad weather day either. Depending on high you fly you might be able to have continuous VHF coverage or something close to it.

Around the southern tip is far better terrain wise but there would be a long stretch of water over the Baffin Strait as well as communication gaps. As well, I can't comment on airfields and fuel around the southern tip.

Plenty of people do it including Diamond when ferrying aircraft from Austria to North America so they would have some pointers. Some of their YouTube videos of their ferry flights might also provide some ideas.