5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

DA42 Tires

Post by CFIDave »

Our DA42 was delivered new with Goodyear Flight Custom II tires, and this is the only recommended tire type in the Aircraft Maintenance Manual.

However I'd like to substitute the slightly more expensive and longer-wearing Goodyear Flight Custom III tires (of the exact same size) on the main gear of our DA42. I'd like to do this to get longer wear out of a set; I was really pleased with the performance of the "III" tires on our DA40. According to Goodyear's documentation both the "II" and "III" model tires have the same diameter despite the "III" having a deeper, longer-lasting tread.

However, Diamond recently came out with a Service Information on tires that warns about the wrong type/sizes/over-inflation/etc. that could lead to the gear getting stuck in the "up" position. :shock:
http://www.diamond-air.at/fileadmin/upl ... hansim.pdf
There's only 4mm of clearance between the tires and the wheel wells when the gear are retracted.

Given this concern, has anyone dared install "III" tires on their DA42?

Thanks for any response.
- Dave
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Re: DA42 Tires

Post by Tommy »

Dave, I must say, I am seriously befuddled by your post. I have read it several times and after reading it, I shake my head in disbelief. I ask myself, is he (Dave) really asking what I think he is asking? Is he (Dave) really considering substantially increasing his odds of a gear up landing for a few extra mm of rubber?
(Me asking myself) Why would Dave take his brand new personally owned million dollar aircraft that is not yet a year old, risk a gear up landing that would substantially damage if not total his brand new million dollar aircraft in the face of and in direct conflict with issued Diamond service information that would definitely be used against any claim by the insurance company all for a few extra landings?
What am I missing here? :scratch:
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Tommy:
That wasn't exactly the type of response I was expecting, but I certainly understand your point. That's why I chose to ask the question to see if anyone had tried using the newer, improved version of the same Goodyear tires. I wouldn't be asking this question if I thought it was "substantially increasing the odds of a gear-up landing." Goodyear's documentation shows the tires are exactly the same size. In retrospect perhaps I shouldn't have used the words "dared" in my post above.

A way to be certain about this is to put the plane up on jacks and swing the gear to check and see if there are any clearance issues -- as recommended in the Diamond Service Information and AMM.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Tommy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tommy
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N591CA
Airports: KCGF

Post by Tommy »

How about contacting Goodyear (tech. services) direct, then if all is good with dimensions, then contacting Diamond to see if there is an issue with using Custom III and if Diamond would then be inclined to issue something in writing supporting their use if all is acceptable. I would think Goodyear would support this initiative. It is in their interest.
Regardless of dimensions, given what has been issued by Diamond service information I certainly would't proceed with anything less regarding Diamond acceptance and support of the Custom III.
gfuller
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N3GQ
Airports: KJXN

Post by gfuller »

I have used the III s for years ..longer wear life..... they don't flat spot as easy if you hit the breaks too hard....I won't go back to the IIs ...also I tried the the michelins and they were too soft
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

gfuller wrote:I have used the III s for years ..longer wear life..... they don't flat spot as easy if you hit the breaks too hard....I won't go back to the IIs ...also I tried the the michelins and they were too soft
Greg, thanks for sharing your experience with the III s.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

Dave,
My second set of tires were the III's. Unfortunately, I had to replace them after about 300 hours (my concern was in another thread that I can't find now), because I flat spotted them down to the threads while on my Alaska trip. My plane is in annual now so I don't know what my mechanic put on as replacement, but I will let you know as soon as I get back to the plane.
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
gfuller
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Registration: N3GQ
Airports: KJXN

Post by gfuller »

Cary ... funny I have the opposite results!
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by carym »

gfuller wrote:Cary ... funny I have the opposite results!
The flat spotting that I did was not a surprise. While flying from Fairbanks to Homer we encountered deteriorating weather, and our flight leader was told by another pilot that the clouds were down to the ground in one of the 2 passes we had to go through. Therefore, we elected to stop at Healy River. The approach to landing was over a ridge that then required a steep descent to the runway, and by then I had a tailwind. I was the second plane to land, all the others went around and landed in the opposite direction. The runway was short (<3000 feet) and I was rapidly approaching the runway end where the flight leader's plane was sitting. I had to break very, very hard to keep from hitting his plane and/or going over the end of the runway. I didn't notice the flat spot until I returned back home. All in all this was the worst day of the trip because the overall leader of our adventure was ahead of us in his Baron and he crashed near the second pass (he and his 2 pax died).

I think I posted a link to my daily emails to friends and family of this trip on another thread. If interested, the link is:

http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by carym »

Dave,
My current (new) tires are also custom III. These apparently work without a problem on my DA42. Hope this helps.

Cary Mariash
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)