Any DA-42 misfuelings?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Any DA-42 misfuelings?

Post by Boatguy »

CFIDave wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:34 pm
Colin wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:12 pmI really wish Diamond had a tab in there which meant "above this it is going to spit out onto the ground." I doubt I would ever fill past that. It's an extra gallon or two and I can't remember the last time that made a difference in when I was landing.
In effect, Diamond has a "tab" in the fuel filler opening: There's a vertical metal tab into which the wire that secures the fuel cap attaches. We trained the local FBO fuel service guys to "just get the tab wet" when fueling. This prevents overfilling and fuel coming out of the fuel vents on the bottom of the wings, yet still puts 25 gallons into each main fuel tank.
+1

That is what I did with my 40NG. Since I always watch the fueling, I tell the line person to "fill it to the tab", not "top up", but Dave's "just get the tab wet" sounds even better. When I've rented a DA42 or 62, I've done the same thing. I also learned to not talk to the person while they were fueling as the jet-A pump is usually very high volume, for the turbine planes. With Diamond's multiple tanks in each wing, connected by relatively small hoses, it's easy to fuel too quickly and think it's full when it's still flowing into the other chambers, or blow past the tab if they don't pay attention.

Occasionally somebody will still be asleep at the switch and send fuel spilling over the wing.

And of course they always put the cap on backwards. At my home airport, rather than correct them (they seem to have a lot of turnover), I use it as signal that I need to visually check the level in my next pre-flight.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

I always fill to the bottom of the metal tab as well. It never leaks from there and it indicates 25 gallons on each tank. The aux tanks are no drama. Just fill until you can’t fill anything else.

I usually tell the line guys how much I’m roughly expecting, because with the jet trucks, they’re used to pumping hundreds of gallons. Many times I may be getting only 8 gallons a side, which really surprise them.
haykinson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ilya
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N724LA
Airports: KSMO

Post by haykinson »

Does anyone else feel like we're getting away with free fuel, by the way? Unlike 100LL which counts in tenths, I think all Jet-A pumps (or at least all the trucks) count in whole gallons. I figure on average that must mean I'm getting a half a gallon for free with every fill-up.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

Or we're paying more than what we're getting. :)

Jet A also expands quite a bit with temperature, so make sure you fuel in the coldest time of the day. ;)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

haykinson wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:27 pm Does anyone else feel like we're getting away with free fuel, by the way? Unlike 100LL which counts in tenths, I think all Jet-A pumps (or at least all the trucks) count in whole gallons. I figure on average that must mean I'm getting a half a gallon for free with every fill-up.
Absolutely. Glass half full!