5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: My experience with the ElectroAir ignition upgrade

Post by Rich »

startingovercfi wrote:
BlackMammoth wrote:The MAP sensor for the G1000 is separate from the Electroair sensor. You use a "T" fitting to split the manifold pressure to the new Electroair sensor.

I don't understand the conflict? Can you offer more details?
Apparently they found a way around it, but there were 3 sensors going into the G1000 (one MP, one RPM, and something else) and the Electroair cable only had one, but they found the right part eventually. If anyone else needs more details they could ask me and I can find out. Sorry for the scant info; haven't had a chance to sit down and have it explained to me more fully.
Confusing.

Assuming you are replacing the left mag with the EA system, I don't know why you would run the tach signal into the G1000. The tach signal is provided by the right mag. Of course, if you're replacing the right mag, you'd have to be sure the signal provided is compatible with the G1000 (or whatever).

The EA comes with its own MAP sensor, which should be tee'd into the MAP sense tubing that comes off of cylinder #4. I see no provision in the wiring diagram for the EA for providing a MAP electrical signal to another device.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brock
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N8QQ
Airports: W52

Post by BRS »

8QQ has about 10 hours on the EA EIS. LOP is now amazing and effortless (no fiddling around). The engine runs quite smooth.

On yesterday's flight and a few flights before that I was having trouble starting. Today I set out to find the issue. After leaving the details (symptoms) with Karen at EA I got a call back soon afterward. They suggested removing the "white" wire from the key switch (temporally) to see if this helped. The EIS can be controlled by the toggle switch near the two circuit breakers. This seems to have solved my problem. So either the key switch was not wired correctly or it is faulty. I'll let EA know what I found and see about replacing the key switch or other.

My installation BTW is on a G1000 equipped DA40 (Oh, and it's supercharged). We removed the SlickStart and mounted the coil in it's place. Then T'd into the MAP line and mounted the EIS MAP sensor on the firewall shelf just aft of the L mag. The Controller is just above the pilots right foot, and does not seem to interfere at all. The plane had three empty circuit breaker holes on the bottom right of the panel. So we put in the two required CB's and one switch there. We put the EIS on all the bottom plugs and moved the Right mag wires on Cyl2&4 to the top. It only makes sense (in Theory) to do this. Consider running on only the mag with two cylinders using the top plugs and two using the bottom plugs. The cylinders are not perfectly uniform so this will add to uneven burn and possibly perceived roughness. I'm splitting hairs here but that's how I like it.
40.649 Sold (Still miss the DA40 from time to time)
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

Phil -

Thanks for starting this great thread. Very helpful!

Most of my flying fits into the envelope where this should shine (high & WOT/LOP, or sightseeing with low MP). The mags are due for 500 hr service at the March annual, so I am probably going to install this at that time.

Did you need to do anything special with the ignition wire routing and spacing? Would it be possible to post detailed pics of the wiring?
BRS wrote:We removed the SlickStart and mounted the coil in it's place. Then T'd into the MAP line and mounted the EIS MAP sensor on the firewall shelf just aft of the L mag. The Controller is just above the pilots right foot, and does not seem to interfere at all. The plane had three empty circuit breaker holes on the bottom right of the panel. So we put in the two required CB's and one switch there.
Brock -

At your convenience could you post a few pics? I also have a G1000, and can't see how the controller is going to fit behind the panel. So I am particularly interested in controller placement, wire routing, and the panel-mounted switch. Any specific PN for the latter?
BRS wrote:We put the EIS on all the bottom plugs and moved the Right mag wires on Cyl2&4 to the top.
This is probably what we'll do as well. Any tips from your experience?
BRS wrote:On yesterday's flight and a few flights before that I was having trouble starting. Today I set out to find the issue. After leaving the details (symptoms) with Karen at EA I got a call back soon afterward. They suggested removing the "white" wire from the key switch (temporally) to see if this helped. The EIS can be controlled by the toggle switch near the two circuit breakers. This seems to have solved my problem. So either the key switch was not wired correctly or it is faulty. I'll let EA know what I found and see about replacing the key switch or other.
What was the resolution on this?

Thanks!

Chris
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by BRS »

I'll try to get more pics next time the cowl is off but here is one where the EIS controller fits.

Tip? I just gave one. Put the mag wires on top. I didn't try it in the stock configuration but no one, who has done this, has complained.

I've not yet tried a new key switch. Not much flying going on with all this rain in the Pacific NW.
Attachments
EIS controller above pilots right foot.   Back enough, from firewall, so as to not interfere with the toe.
EIS controller above pilots right foot. Back enough, from firewall, so as to not interfere with the toe.
Fly and EAB Sportsman
DavidS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Airports: KHEF

Post by DavidS »

Wow. Thanks for posting that picture. For me, that actually just furthers the resolve to wait for the mag-only replacements.... Saw a couple neat ones at oshkosh 15. Maybe they'll be out by the time I upgrade... :tap:
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

ElectroAir: Roughness & Hard Start solved

Post by BRS »

After much trouble shooting I seem to have solved the issues that I was having with my Electroaire EIS installation.

Roughness, backfire, kickback: After two weeks of frustration and swapping out components (neither of which were very helpful) I found the problem to be the close proximity between the MTH (mag timing housing) connector (black connector) and the towers on the coil (pic). Though the wire for the MTH is shielded there are about 3.5" of unshielded length where it goes through the connector. As luck would have it, my mechanic placed that right next to the coil. The radiated energy of those 70kv's seem to have been corrupting the timing signal. They are now separated by 8" and seem to work fine. The installation manual should mention this.

Hard Starting: For some reason ever since the EIS installation starts have been hard. After modifying my start procedure as follows I am now able to reliably start. Not sure if this is because of the EIS or if something has changed in my fuel system. COLD: Mixture to half, Throttle to idle, turn the key (no priming!); WARM/HOT: Mixture to ICO, Throttle full, turn the key, Throttle to idle, Mixture to half. Seems the EIS (in my case) does not like rich mixtures).

Uneven EGTs: (see pic) Cylinders 1&3 have higher EGT's when the EIS is running but all even out when on just the MAG. I'd like to know if anyone else has seen this. My unconfirmed theory is that since they system uses a "wasted-spark" (so plug pairs 1/2 & 3/4 fire at the same time), and that the plug wires for cylinders 1&3 are much longer than those on 2&4, that the majority of that spark goes to 2&4 while the spark at 1&3 is weaker thus a higher EGT (weaker spark = higher EGT).

Customer Service: ElectroAir was helpful as they promptly sent me replacement parts. However I would have expected them to know about this issue of putting that connector too close to the coil. My only complaint about customer-service is that they more often don't answer my calls and/or acknowledge my emails. Seems they don't have the time for this sort of thing. Might just be me.

Murphy's Law & Wet cylinder:
"everything that can go wrong will go wrong" With all that has been going on, with this process. While checking the plugs (for trouble shooting) I found #2 cylinder to be very oily. My fear was that the backfiring had damaged something (oil normally indicates rings). After some consultation and more running of the engine we decided to pull the cylinder. Much to my relief we found that the rings had managed to line up. I had heard about this happening but this is the first time I've ever seen it. We just rotated the gaps 120˚ and put it all back together.

Bottom Line: The engine runs very smooth on the EIS and no longer tries to shake out of it's mounts when shutting down. LOP is very easy too.
Attachments
Rings Lined up (mostly)
Rings Lined up (mostly)
Uneven EGT's
Uneven EGT's
Connector too close to the coil
Connector too close to the coil
Fly and EAB Sportsman
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Couldn't you easily test your theory by using identical leads for all spark plugs? just loop them and wire-tire them off?
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Well, Brock hardly a rising endorsement. Of course, your plane is unique in DA40-dom.

The unbalanced EGT's are disconcerting. Have you tried rerunning the GAMI test? Their test is a check that all EGTs peak at the same fuel flow (within a small delta), without sweating that they run at the same temperature. Your hypothesis does seem reasonable, though. I presume these are resistive plug wires (a la pretty common automotive practice).
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
BRS
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by BRS »

Rich wrote:Well, Brock hardly a rising endorsement. Of course, your plane is unique in DA40-dom.
The unbalanced EGT's are disconcerting. Have you tried rerunning the GAMI test? Their test is a check that all EGTs peak at the same fuel flow (within a small delta), without sweating that they run at the same temperature. Your hypothesis does seem reasonable, though. I presume these are resistive plug wires (a la pretty common automotive practice).
Rich, It's Mr. Murphy. He is trying to derail the Supercharger STC efforts.
The unbalanced EGT is not an injector issue as evidenced by the EGT's evening out when on just the MAG alone.
Colin wrote:Couldn't you easily test your theory by using identical leads for all spark plugs? just loop them and wire-tire them off?
Yes Colin, I plan on doing something like that. I just have to get the leads first.
Actually, yesterday I played with the leads some more (just made sure they were not touching or anything like that) as they were loosely touching in one spot. The EGTs looked good for the first part of the flight. I think these leads were damaged by the original installation and I'll likely find burn marks on them once they are fully removed. My next step is to just replace them.
Fly and EAB Sportsman
BlackMammoth
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Phil
Aircraft Registration: N29PG
Airports: KPSP

Post by BlackMammoth »

We haven't seen the uneven distribution of EGTs that Brock is experiencing. Another thing that is clearly different is the reported difficulty in starting... since installing the EI the airplane starts immediately - much better than it used to start with the SlickStart / Mag (not that is was ever difficult to start).

Unfortunately I think there is something wrong, but I am not sure what it is.

Good luck with your testing!