Go around button on xls throttle?

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Hetch

Go around button on xls throttle?

Post by Hetch »

Hello, I was reading on one of the Garmin G1000 manuals about a go around button in case of missed approache. I couldn't find that button on any online pictures of the GFC700.

Does the DA40 xls have that capability to execute a go around at the push of a button? Does it also execute hold procedures?

Thanks.
mdieter
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N43LM
Airports: KROC

Re: Go around button on xls throttle?

Post by mdieter »

The "Go Around" button on the throttle, sometimes called TOGO (Take Off / Go Around) suspends the autopilot and sets the flight director arrow straight ahead and pitched for a climb. The flying part is all yours. You can follow the flight director for a straight ahead climb. Make sure to throttle up ;-).

The G1000 can enter and execute published holds. Holds on any arbitrary point "should" be included in future software version.
Mark
N43LM
DA40.1047
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

Once you do the initial pitch up after hitting the go-around button, if you unsuspend the flight director, and re-engage the AP, the AP will indeed fly the whole missed approach procedure, including any published hold in it.
Steve
DA40 XL
Hetch

Post by Hetch »

That sounds amazing! Makes flying easy! I can't wait until I get my own.

Thank you for your responses.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

smoss wrote:Once you do the initial pitch up after hitting the go-around button, if you unsuspend the flight director, and re-engage the AP, the AP will indeed fly the whole missed approach procedure, including any published hold in it.
Making sure you get the pitch up and achieve positive climb rate is important but be sure you know what MAP you will be flying.

The one thing you want to be careful of is that there are cases where the published MAP is neither desirable nor authorized, as ATC may give you an unpublished one. Why? Some of the published MAPs defy logic, such as those for the ILS/LOC for 16R at KPAE. Even the RNAVs for that runway are a bit suspect. I was always given initial routes that took me directly East or West for a few miles and then to the hold fix.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

For what it's worth, here is the procedure for using the Go-Around button on a GFC700 autopilot on a Diamond aircraft (DA40 or DA42); I put this together for my own understanding of all the steps. This assumes an approach with vertical guidance (ILS or LPV) with GPS approach loaded and autopilot coupled. (If ILS, be sure GPS is tracking inbound waypoints correctly.)

IMPORTANT: Set Altitude Bug to missed approach holding pattern altitude at Final Approach Point (FAP) on inbound approach.

Upon reaching MINIMUMS (e.g., 200 feet AGL)
1. Hit GO-AROUND switch. This will cause:
a. Autopilot disengages (Autopilot disconnect annunciation, AP and YD (DA42 only) flash yellow for 5 seconds)
b. Flight Director bars to show 6 degree (DA42) or 7 degree (DA40) wings-level, pitch-up attitude
c. Green GA mode indicated in both active pitch and roll mode fields
d. White ALTS armed for Selected Altitude Capture Mode (referencing Altitude Bug set previously)
e. CDI flight phase magenta text changes from LOC or LPV to MAPR on the HSI
f. If ILS or LOC approach, the CDI changes to GPS as the navigation source (green becomes magenta in HSI, provides GPS course to fly missed approach)
g. Flight plan cycles to first waypoint on missed approach procedure
h. Waypoint sequencing (which was automatically suspended at the Missed Approach Point with SUSP indication) is resumed with OBS indication on PFD bottom.

2. Power FULL

3. Pitch UP 6% (DA42) or 7% (DA40) using Flight Director bars to start climb to first prescribed altitude published in Missed Approach Procedure (with RIGHT RUDDER).

4. Optional: If Flaps LANDING, retract to Flaps APPROACH (DA42) or T/O (DA40). This is only if go-around initiated below minimums and runway was made – go-around perhaps due to visible runway obstruction.

5. Upon positive rate, GEAR UP (DA42 only)

6. Flaps UP from APPROACH (DA42) or T/O (DA40) position

7. Press AP button to engage autopilot to fly GA Mode 6% (DA42) or 7% (DA40) up climb, wings level indicated by Flight Director bars

8. Press NAV key to have autopilot fly the Missed Approach in coupled mode.
a. Lateral mode green GA → GPS (makes autopilot laterally follow missed approach procedure and waypoints to holding pattern, then enter hold)
b. Vertical mode stays green GA (autopilot still in go-around pitch mode)

9. Press FLC button and UP/DOWN buttons to adjust airspeed during climb to missed approach holding pattern.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If flying a newer (roughly 2015+) DA40/DA42/DA62 with GFC700 equipped with ESP (Electronic Stability and Protection), this procedure is much simpler since the Go-around switch will not disconnect the autopilot. Instead, the autopilot will automatically sequence the GPS flight plan to fly the missed approach in coupled mode.
Last edited by CFIDave on Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Thanks for this, I will be printing this and trying it out when I get my plane back. Very cool.

(If not for the software up grade issues, I would have put ESP in my plane. Very disappointing.)
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Colin wrote:Thanks for this, I will be printing this and trying it out when I get my plane back. Very cool.
(If not for the software up grade issues, I would have put ESP in my plane. Very disappointing.)
If it makes you feel any better, my 2013 DA42-VI was one of the very last DA42s built with the older G1000 GFC700 servos and servo mounts installed. It therefore can never have ESP installed even though it's otherwise running the most current (GDU Version 15) G1000 software. I shudder to think what it would cost to replace all the G1000 servos and mounts and re-rig the flight controls to get ESP and a better go-around experience. :(
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

$40k would be my guess.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Hetch

Post by Hetch »

When I typed this question more than a year ago, I never would have thought I’d be in a position to test out this future in my own airplane. Feeling grateful.

I wish my IFR instructor was proficient in the G1000. Instead I’m learning the old complicated ways of doing things (which I know is important) but I would’ve preferred to ALSO learn the powerful automation capabilities of the plane.