Go around button on xls throttle?

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

TJS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: CGMTS
Airports:

Re: Go around button on xls throttle?

Post by TJS »

I would highly recommend that you find an instructor that can do that for you. It will save you a lot of time and money not to mention you are missing out on many of the features that make this airplane so great.
I got my IFR rating in June.
Tim
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Hetch wrote:I wish my IFR instructor was proficient in the G1000. Instead I’m learning the old complicated ways of doing things (which I know is important) but I would’ve preferred to ALSO learn the powerful automation capabilities of the plane.
You definitely need to fly with an instructor who knows the G1000 and is capable of demonstrating what it can do. Otherwise you're missing out on some very useful and important capabilities.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Hetch

Post by Hetch »

You all make sense. My check ride is this Friday. Once I pass I may make a trip to the factory, upgrade the software and book a few lessons. I am assuming they offer lessons.
TJS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by TJS »

I got my IFR training in London at the Diamond Flight Centre, they are fantastic. Same ownership as the factory but operates separately in their own building. Definitely be money well spent.
TJS
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by TJS »

They have an awesome sim too if the weather craps out. Check out their website www.dfclondon.com
In the fleet tab click on the FTD-da42 level 5. I have over 20hrs in it for my IFR and Multi. nice unit and cheaper than flying.
Paul
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Post by Paul »

CFIDave wrote: IMPORTANT NOTE: If flying a newer (roughly 2015+) DA40/DA42/DA62 with GFC700 equipped with ESP (Electronic Stability and Protection), this procedure is much simpler since the Go-around switch will not disconnect the autopilot. Instead, the autopilot will automatically sequence the GPS flight plan to fly the missed approach in coupled mode.
Is this right in the Diamond? I thought you had to hit NAV. In other words, you push the TOGA button, the autopilot stays connected and pitches up into the command bars and starts to climb (assuming you add power) and GA is annunciated at the top of the PFD. But the autopilot won't sequence until you hit the NAV button, at which point it will follow the missed procedure.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

Paul wrote:I thought you had to hit NAV. In other words, you push the TOGA button, the autopilot stays connected and pitches up into the command bars and starts to climb (assuming you add power) and GA is annunciated at the top of the PFD. But the autopilot won't sequence until you hit the NAV button, at which point it will follow the missed procedure.
No. One of the big benefits of a newer ESP-equipped GFC700 plane is that the G1000 will continue to sequence with coupled autopilot to fly the missed approach; the GA button doesn't kick off the autopilot. All you have to do after hitting the Go-Around switch on the throttle is to apply full throttle and raise flaps (and gear on Diamond twins), i.e., you eliminate steps 3, 7, and 8 in the instructions I provided earlier in this thread.

Pushing the NAV button is required for non-ESP planes to reengage the autopilot and fly the missed approach procedure to reach the missed approach holding pattern.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

This may be a silly question but do you recommend using the ToGo button on a normal takeoff/departure as a way of using the FD for wings level and best rate of climb guidance? Then turning it off once you have reached circuit altitude?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by CFIDave »

gordsh wrote:This may be a silly question but do you recommend using the ToGo button on a normal takeoff/departure as a way of using the FD for wings level and best rate of climb guidance? Then turning it off once you have reached circuit altitude?
Not a silly question at all: Yes, that's another appropriate use of the Go-Around (GA) button on the throttle. While I don't normally use it for takeoffs, if I were taking off IFR with low visibility or into relatively low ceilings, it would be very helpful. (I'm not at all suggesting zero-zero takeoffs, but the Flight Director climb guidance bars would help enable this. I know of some CFIs who have their students try a similar takeoff in VFR conditions while "under the hood" using foggles just to see what it's like.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
gordsh
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Shawn
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: CCCCC
Airports:

Post by gordsh »

Thanks. I used it a couple of times after reading up on it and thought I was using it the incorrect way. I find it very comforting especially when there is a strong cross wind on the climb out and the plane is all over the place. I can see that perhaps more experienced pilots don't use it but I like it. Thanks for the clarification.