3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sara
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: KPAE

Best cabin cover?

Post by BlueYonder »

Brand new owner here, starting to collect all the accessories for the plane. One of the items needed is a cabin cover. There seem to be three or four models on offer, and I have no clue how the $350 one is any better or worse than the $600 one.

Is there tribal wisdom on the preferred model?

Also, more generally: what are the most useful things you carry in your plane, or the best small mods you've made to the interior to make it more comfortable to fly?
Fly17
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mikola
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: D4129
Airports: UKHH

Re: Best cabin cover?

Post by Fly17 »

There are complete set covers the entire plane.I'm such use.
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

I have a full set of wing, tail, and canopy covers from Aerocovers. Superb quality, perfect fit, and fantastic post-sale service. Don't be put off by their rudimentary web site.

http://www.aerocovers.ca/products.shtml

They are manufactured in Canada and quoted in Canadian dollars so with the current currency exchange rate, they're a bargain for US purchasers.
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

Some suggestions. Oregon Aero Seat cushions are used by many of us. http://www.oregonaero.com/accessories/softseat-ordering. I have experimented with Arctic air coolers but have not found it to reduce the temp enough to make it worth the effort -- http://www.arcticaircooler.com/ I find that cracking the canopy on the ground cools just as well, at least in the Mid-Atlantic, but others like the various types of these ice coolers. I use the DA40 Bogi Bar to move the aircraft around, much easier than the one that comes with the aircraft -- http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/p ... ibars2.php. Finally I use a set of these adjustable sun visors -- http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/p ... ckkey=5566 As you probably know already, all of these things are priced in aviation (high) dollars, but in general they do the job.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
BlueYonder
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Sara
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N687DA
Airports: KPAE

Post by BlueYonder »

Great suggestions, thanks! I already have a set of Aerosheep seat covers on order, along with a set of booster cushions from Oregon Aero (I'm short, and need to jack myself both up and forward in the DA40's standard seats.) On this forum, I found suggestions saying that tucking the cushions under the sheepskin covers will hold them in place nicely, so that's the plan.

One of the cover companies (Bruce?) claims to have a lining that's especially good at not scratching the canopy or finish on the plane. Anybody know if this is true? Will check out the aerocovers site -- thanks!

Also: some cover companies advertise their product as a "travel" cover -- perhaps because it's lighter than the others? This may be all I need, since it will be hangared at home. A full set of all-over covers might make sense if you can't park in a hangar at home, though.

Thought we'd wait until summer to see if it made sense to order the icebox cooler. Up here in the PNW, probably not -- but if we head south, it might be worth the investment at some point.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I have a Bruce's canopy cover. I use it only away from home base (aircraft is hangared there). It has held up well in snow, rain, and high winds. No detectable canopy scratching after 14 years of use. I also have a "Do Not Tow" streamer I put on the nose gear to prevent FBOs from moving the plane without a proper tow bar.

Congrats on the new airplane!

Steve
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I have my second Bruce's cover. It did seem to help keep the canopy from getting scratched. I think I should have washed that first cover more than once in ten years. Eventually it probably was HOLDING grit and rubbing it against the plexi.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ThomasD
Aircraft Registration: N215DS
Airports: EGGD

Post by ThomasD »

Another vote for Bruce's custom covers - great fit, great service
Fly17
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mikola
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: D4129
Airports: UKHH

Post by Fly17 »

I use a set of covers. It costs about 500 US Dolar. In the photo set for DA 42, but I have and for DA 40 a. Covers satisfied. Were placed in two small bags for DA 42 and DA 40 for one.
P.S/ Cover for only cabin~ 80-100 US Dolar/
Attachments
cover for all plane
cover for all plane
Nirbm01
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nir
Airports: KPAO

Post by Nirbm01 »

My vote is actually against Bruce covers - the covers are with the same materials like all others, but when when you need to use warranty claim - then it becoming ugly - recently I try to get some help for me for the answer was - you have to by a new one )-:
I am poking around for other vendors - warranty and responsiveness are much much better with http://www.aerocovers.ca/products.shtml I use to believe that Bruce Covers are THE brand name but after my latest interaction with them - total disappointing