5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N831BA
Airports: KFFZ KEUL

Re: Best cabin cover?

Post by rwtucker »

I'm hangared most of the time but 841BA sometimes sit on the tarmac in Phoenix for a week at a time. Would any of you recommend a canopy cover for this occasional use? Would it be a positive or negative on heat build up?
Fly17
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mikola
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: D4129
Airports: UKHH

Post by Fly17 »

Best cover for DA 40
Attachments
FB_20161215_21_40_06_Saved_Picture.jpg
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

rwtucker wrote:I'm hangared most of the time but 841BA sometimes sit on the tarmac in Phoenix for a week at a time. Would any of you recommend a canopy cover for this occasional use? Would it be a positive or negative on heat build up?
I would definitely use the cover when parked outside:

- Will dramatically reduce cabin heating and UV-induced fading of the interior
- Will keep prying eyes out of your airplane

Steve
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I have mixed feelings about using our lighter-weight Bruce "travel cover" for the canopy when the plane is temporarily parked outside of its hangar (e.g., spending a few days at a destination airport).

We've used it in places like the Bahamas for a week to protect against the sun. However, depending on which way the wind is blowing relative to the parked aircraft, the cover will shift slightly, collecting dirt/sand against the plexiglass. Straps that secure the cover will rub against and damage some of the vinyl fuselage decals near the canopy. I'm now less likely to use a travel cover.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Fly17
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mikola
Aircraft Registration: D4129
Airports: UKHH

Post by Fly17 »

I had a case that bought Diamond factory. Replacing the belt with an elastic band for securing cargo on the car. Case does not move with the wind and does not let dust and sand on the Plexiglas.
carym
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: cary
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N336TS
Airports: KTYQ

Post by carym »

CFIDave wrote:I have mixed feelings about using our lighter-weight Bruce "travel cover" for the canopy when the plane is temporarily parked outside of its hangar (e.g., spending a few days at a destination airport).

We've used it in places like the Bahamas for a week to protect against the sun. However, depending on which way the wind is blowing relative to the parked aircraft, the cover will shift slightly, collecting dirt/sand against the plexiglass. Straps that secure the cover will rub against and damage some of the vinyl fuselage decals near the canopy. I'm now less likely to use a travel cover.
Dave,
You may want to try what I described in another thread ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5753#p62437) . It worked great to keep the plane cool while parked outside and protected the inside materials from the UV light.
Cary
Cary
DA42.AC036 (returned)
S35 (1964 V-tail Bonanza)
Alaska adventure: http://mariashflying.tumblr.com
BAA
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Perry
Aircraft Registration: N209A
Airports: KSGJ

Post by BAA »

I have a standard Bruce cover with microfiber lining...it's perfect for Florida. I use it even when I go out for lunch to keep the cabin cool. 2 minutes to put on. Perfect fit. I also purchased the Bruce wingtip covers...I use them 100% of the time, because of the 40' wingspan it reminds the FBOs to use caution. The "do not tow" streamer is a fantastic idea, I had an FBO at Sun n Fun Lakeland crack my nose wheel speed fairing by pushing it with their foot to steer the plane when pushing it backwards (a true moron move, but they're everywhere)
ThomasD
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ThomasD
Aircraft Registration: N215DS
Airports: EGGD

Post by ThomasD »

I also had an issue with a lightweight cover (only straps front and back), where the cover would rotate around the longitudinal axis of the plane due to wind from one side or the other, with the result that one side of the plexi was half-exposed above the door handle level.
In the end I added two straps, one either side where the strap goes from the cover under the front of the wing then back up around the rear edge. I bought the strapping and clips on eBay, then got them sewn on by a local lady who does boat covers (need a strong needle & machine to get through the layers). Works very well; if I think of it next time I am at the plane I will take photos
BkFlyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by BkFlyer »

Steve wrote:
rwtucker wrote:I'm hangared most of the time but 841BA sometimes sit on the tarmac in Phoenix for a week at a time. Would any of you recommend a canopy cover for this occasional use? Would it be a positive or negative on heat build up?
I would definitely use the cover when parked outside:

- Will dramatically reduce cabin heating and UV-induced fading of the interior
- Will keep prying eyes out of your airplane

Steve
I second this, especially for the hot Pheonix sun! It can’t be good for your avionics package to go through extreme desert heating cycles on a daily basis. My mechanic has told us that if he sees one of his Diamond customers serially leaving the airplane uncovered, he won’t work on it anymore due to the extra liability.
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

New post in old thread - I read everyone’s advice about covers, and I did a lot of research including looking at other airplane forums, and based on all that research I decided to go with Mac’s. My DA42 NG will be kept outside because there’s simply no hanger space available in metro Atlanta for quite a while. I know most people recommended getting a white cover, but I decided to get a blue cover for two reasons. One, it matches the plane and I must admit I’m a little vain about that. Two, there is the idea that the darker cover prevents the light from penetrating into the cabin. If you thinkActually, I did some research on this and I’m not entirely sure I have a good base of support for that reason, but I do like the blue. It will stay cleaner looking. The cover is very well-made, completely lined, came with a bag to store it in, and was a good value, $392.90 around half the price of the better-known brand – Bruce’s.
cid:D85AA53F-389B-4C6B-B514-D2AA923707D3