3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N329DS
Airports: KBUY

Re: Mountain High for Built-In Oxygen System

Post by Pbwears1 »

Dave....to your question about the MH o2 boom..I'm da40 driver and love it! Its $100 but well made and makes life much simpler
Cheers, Peter
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

CFIDave wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:51 pm After delivery, the owner can optionally purchase a Mountain High O2D2 pulse-demand system (and regulator/adapter) for each pair of users -- it they want to further conserve O2 and have a "black box" automatically adjust flow rates based on altitude. The O2D2 system plugs into one of the plane's built-in outlets.
Dave: When you have a chance, could you post a picture of how you have the Mountain High system attached/mounted in your DA62?

I also think the boom cannula is excellent.

FWIW, I though my O2D2 was not sensing quite correctly and they recommend service very two years. I sent it in, the the first stage regulator as well, and the report that came back was very thorough with some parts replaced, calibrated, etc. It seemed like good value and a worthwhile maintenance for a fairly critical piece of flying gear.
Jitters79
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bill
Aircraft Registration: 62177
Airports: Kbfi

Post by Jitters79 »

What connectors does the da62 have ? Thinking of getting this ordered prior to flying across the US
Jroseund
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jonathan
Aircraft Registration: N526AE
Airports: KBFF

Post by Jroseund »

Hey Jitters.

The 62 uses the BNC 750 connectors. Those can be used for the O2D1 & 2 plus the continuous flow products too.
Borealis
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: LNWOW
Airports: ENGM

Post by Borealis »

I have been flying with a portable O2D2 system from mountain high in our DA40 for years, and I love it. Of course it is inconvenient mounting the bottle before flight, and having the extra cables floating around the cockpit - and if you have backseat passengers it gets quite cramped. But the advantage of having oxygen is significant, less headaches and more confidence even at 10.000ft.

Now we are upgrading to a new DA42 with a built in system. Does anybody know how much extra time you can get out of the inbuilt tank using the O2D2 compared to just using the Aerox oxysavers? Basically, is it worth the hassle (and money)?

And I’d also be very interested to see some photos if anybody has installed the EDS O2D2 box in a «semi-permanent» way in a DA42 or DA62 - how to make this tidy and convenient.
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

I haven't measured it directly, but based on flying around without the O2D2 for six months before adding one, I'd estimate 2x to 3x longer time between fills. It might be hard to justify based on cost alone, but I find that it's worth it for the convenience of not having to plan for the extra refills when out on a trip.

I installed the O2D2 box directly in front of me under the panel, which makes it easy to access and keeps the tubing short and out of the way when I'm not using it. I'm thinking of relocating it to the center console by my right knee to make it easier to use with passengers. The current location requires a long run for the second canula. If I ever get my plane back from annual this year, I can post some photos.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Borealis
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eric
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: LNWOW
Airports: ENGM

Post by Borealis »

Thanks Chris. It can be a pain (and quite expensive) to get a refill, so if you reckon you can double or more the time between refills that sounds worth it. Getting a refill is a lot easier with a removable bottle - you can get it filled at any dive shop for a fraction of the cost any aviation outlet will touch something that is permanently mounted in the airplane. And there are dive shops everywhere - but surprisingly few airports have oxygen facilities (at least around my part of Europe).

Would love to see photos when you get your airplane back. I guess the box can just be mounted with some velcro tape? Seeing that I already have the O2D2 unit, I suppose I just need to get the connector that was mentioned here earlier.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

CFIDave wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:51 pm New Diamond aircraft twins (DA42-VI and DA62) with optional O2 systems come with an Aerox system, consisting of a tank in the nose and outlets for each pilot and passenger position. They also come with Aerox Oxysaver cannulas for each pilot/passenger and a single full mask for the pilot (for use at 18,000 feet or above).

This is a totally manual (non-electronic) system where each user needs to adjust the needle-ball flow valve on their cannula (depending on altitude).

After delivery, the owner can optionally purchase a Mountain High O2D2 pulse-demand system (and regulator/adapter) for each pair of users -- it they want to further conserve O2 and have a "black box" automatically adjust flow rates based on altitude. The O2D2 system plugs into one of the plane's built-in outlets.
Borealis wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:24 pm I have been flying with a portable O2D2 system from mountain high in our DA40 for years, and I love it. Of course it is inconvenient mounting the bottle before flight, and having the extra cables floating around the cockpit - and if you have backseat passengers it gets quite cramped. But the advantage of having oxygen is significant, less headaches and more confidence even at 10.000ft.

Now we are upgrading to a new DA42 with a built in system. Does anybody know how much extra time you can get out of the inbuilt tank using the O2D2 compared to just using the Aerox oxysavers? Basically, is it worth the hassle (and money)?

And I’d also be very interested to see some photos if anybody has installed the EDS O2D2 box in a «semi-permanent» way in a DA42 or DA62 - how to make this tidy and convenient.
I believe strongly in the Mountain High pulse-demand systems; I've used them in gliders for decades. This year I flew almost 300 hours in my DA62 using a Mountain High 02D2 and stepdown regulator plugged into one of the Aerox ports, and a boom cannula on my headset. Even on days with two long legs in the mid-high teens, the boom cannula remains much more comfortable than any standard over-the-ears cannula.

I almost always use oxygen on my flights, because I live outside of Denver and most of my cross-country flying is done at 14K'-18K' MSL. I don't know how many seat-hours the O2D2 will give you from a full tank, but it's a lot. Even with two people on oxygen on most flights I only had to refill the nose tank once, and that was only because I forgot to close the main shutoff at the panel, and sitting in the hangar the 02D2 slipped off the feed hose from the stepdown regulator, emptying the tank overnight.

For the new '62 I'll take delivery of in two or three months (fingers crossed!) I've obtained a second 02D2, for some planned 3- and 4-passenger touring. It's nice not having to worry about filling the ship's oxygen tank but once or so a year.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

photoSteveZ wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:14 pm For the new '62 I'll take delivery of in two or three months (fingers crossed!) I've obtained a second 02D2, for some planned 3- and 4-passenger touring. It's nice not having to worry about filling the ship's oxygen tank but once or so a year.
How do you mount the O2D2? Does it just hang from the adapter?

Caution - thread drift: Why a second DA62? Selling the first or building a fleet?
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

IIRC it’s on average 30 psi/h/person from built-in O2 tank using O2D2.