ADS-B after the effective date

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

ADS-B after the effective date

Post by Rich »

I see lots of folks continuing to get ADS-B installed in their planes. There are various reasons they didn't get it done earlier, but I'm glad to see it continuing.

From the traffic standpoint I hear the naysayers with the 'see and avoid" mantra (which ADS-B augments, does not supplant). I recently did some measuring of visibility out of a DA40. Most will agree this plane is way above average in its outside visibility. Nevertheless there are still limitations. I had a near-miss years back because of these limitations. But from my measurements I conclude that from the pilot seat, assuming one is flying alone, only about 12% of the sky can be readily seen from this position. This does not consider human vision limitations and the fact you really don't look out the windows 100% of the time.

Other aircraft are much worse. For example there's this guy, flying around Puget Sound even today:
Spirit of St Louis Replica.jpg
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5