5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Rubber strip replacement

Post by Rich »

Bryan, I believe there are through-rivets in the instrument panel but they are covered by some sort of coating or adhesive material. The IPC is dismal in representing any but the oldest instrument panels, but the AMM for the G1000 panel (Pg. 205) seems to show a couple of countersunk holes for rivets right where your bracket came loose:
Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 16.10.00.jpg
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N890US
Airports: 1C5

Post by yl472401 »

Rich wrote:Bryan, I believe there are through-rivets in the instrument panel but they are covered by some sort of coating or adhesive material. The IPC is dismal in representing any but the oldest instrument panels, but the AMM for the G1000 panel (Pg. 205) seems to show a couple of countersunk holes for rivets right where your bracket came loose:
Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 16.10.00.jpg
Rich,
Marvelous! I’ll take a closer look tomorrow. This get me excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Diamond DA40, Diamond DA42NG, PPL, IR
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by yl472401 »

astaib wrote:
Rich wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:27 pm That strip you show at the front of the canopy is not and never has been present on my plane. I have considered putting something additional in place because I can see daylight between the canopy seal and the airframe in the lower front corners on each side. The doors fit tight, it's just a mismatch in shape in those two spots.

The bracket on the instrument panel: You say it "pulled away". Did the rivets just let go? Did they pull out through their holes in the panel? Did the bracket crack through? This could be an easy fix (replace rivets) or a bigger deal. Even more serious is the question of why this happened. It'd take a lot to pull this thing free. There's very little stress on these brackets in my plane.
Hi,

Do you have a picture of the strip at the front of the canopy that you are talking about?
I don’t have it neither.

Thanks.

Arnaud.

Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

Do you have a picture of the strip at the front of the canopy that you are talking about?
I don’t have it neither.
I believe that rubber strip on the front of the canopy started when they switched to the taller canopy. Back then I wondered if it was because of a fit issue, trying unsuccessfully to cover up a gap between the new style canopy and the cowling.

Other Plane 3.jpg
Other Plane 2.jpg
Gap 1.jpg
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by yl472401 »

Soareyes wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:52 pm
I don’t have it neither.
I believe that rubber strip on the front of the canopy started when they switched to the taller canopy. Back then I wondered if it was because of a fit issue, trying unsuccessfully to cover up a gap between the new style canopy and the cowling.

Other Plane 3.jpgOther Plane 2.jpgGap 1.jpg.
Does look like a bandit put on for subpar design that left a gap between the upper cowl and the canopy. ;)
Roxi5m9
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nick
Aircraft Registration: N597RA
Airports: 5M9

Post by Roxi5m9 »

Rich wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:45 pm Some years back on this site there was a discussion of using "glider tape", perhaps more properly known as gap seal tape, in lieu of that seal provided by Diamond at the wing root juncture. Perhaps someone that has done that could comment on their experience.

Save that, the seal strip material can be obtained from Diamond or has anyone found an alternate source?
Using glider tape is exactly what I used on my wing gap and it has worked fantastic. I cleaned the wing well, took my time applying it and it has lasted 2 1/2 years and 400 hours of flying and looks like new. DA40 owners often comment that they think it looks nice. And its very cheap and easily replaceable. I highly recommend.
N597RA 40.444
‘04 DA40-180
ATP, CFI
5M9, Marion, KY
Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Post by Don »

BTW, the photo below brought to mind. The only thing I found that cleans the rubber strip in front of the canopy and the caulking rings around the widows and canopy is Plexus. Restores it to looking like new again. Use an old toothbrush and it works like a charm.
Attachments
Diamond rubber.jpg
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by yl472401 »

Don wrote:BTW, the photo below brought to mind. The only thing I found that cleans the rubber strip in front of the canopy and the caulking rings around the widows and canopy is Plexus. Restores it to looking like new again. Use an old toothbrush and it works like a charm.
Awesome. Thanks for the tip!!

yl472401
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by yl472401 »

Roxi5m9 wrote:
Rich wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:45 pm Some years back on this site there was a discussion of using "glider tape", perhaps more properly known as gap seal tape, in lieu of that seal provided by Diamond at the wing root juncture. Perhaps someone that has done that could comment on their experience.

Save that, the seal strip material can be obtained from Diamond or has anyone found an alternate source?
Using glider tape is exactly what I used on my wing gap and it has worked fantastic. I cleaned the wing well, took my time applying it and it has lasted 2 1/2 years and 400 hours of flying and looks like new. DA40 owners often comment that they think it looks nice. And its very cheap and easily replaceable. I highly recommend.
Thanks. Do you have a link to the glider tape your mentioned?

Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

yl472401 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:38 pm
Roxi5m9 wrote:

Thanks. Do you have a link to the glider tape your mentioned?
This is the stuff I use on mine - it seems to last forever and matches the white almost exactly. I have a roll of the 2"-wide.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)