G1000 Legacy & NXi upgrade program

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

D-GCOB
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: DGCOB
Airports: EDWI

Re: G1000 Legacy & NXi upgrade program

Post by D-GCOB »

ememic99 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:29 pm It’s strange that CD-135 are supported while CD-155 are not.
I raised the same question today to my friend in Diamond Egelsbach - they will come back on this tomorrow.
D-GCOB
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by D-GCOB »

Finally the new software 010-00370-23 from Garmin is available through the dealer access and I have installed it yesterday on my TDI.
The system configuration I have is the following:
CD-135 and the GIA 011-01105-01
The update took a while (approx. 2h) and worked well. For the later installation of the options there is also “Flightstream 210” available – this is not mentioned in the MSB 42-008/17 but was “promised” by Diamond in the upgrade information.

The data cards need to be replaced by 8GB cards afterwards so that the high resolution map will fit. I used standard San Disk cards, inserted them in the G1000 so that the airframe and card number is written to the system and updated them like normal with the new 4.9ARC basemap. Everything works as it should.
The software on the GIA increases significantly as expected and is way faster (especially the zoom function on the map). The resolution is great and plenty of new functions.
Major improvement
Thank you to everyone that has pushed Diamond into the right direction and also thank you to Diamond for this release.
Attachments
IMG_6969.jpg
IMG_6964.jpg
D-GCOB
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by D-GCOB »

IMPORTANT UPDATE ON THE 370.23 SOFTWARWE

After checking all the functions I noticed that the GMA has a problem with the new software. This was not shown during the installation. The pilot can talk via radio and has clear sound - but co pilot and passengers don't. They have a permanent noise on the headsets. The COM and NAV driver cause problems which can not be solved if you have the GIA 011-01105-01. It only works with the -20 GIA's!

Switching back to software .22 caused the next problem. The .23 Software changed the GMU from version 2.01 to Version 2.05. The consequence is a manifest error and the attitude indicator is crossed! It is not possible to downgrade this software on the older GMU's anymore - so a replacement is required! Also these -00 units are only available from GARMIN US.

Thankfully the GARMIN support is exchanging this unit for free due to the wrong information about compatibility. It took ages to find this problem since everyone was sure that it should work... very disappointing.

Too bad that Diamond has implemented the newest COM and NAV files in the Manifest which are usually only in NXi software. Why didn't they released the last functioning GDU 15.11 version that also runs on the NG models with both GIA's? Maybe because of the URBE STC for the other GIA's? - or to have enough demand for units out of the NXi upgrade?

If anyone would like to swap GIA 011-01105-01 units against GIA 011-01105-20 feel free to contact me.
D-GCOB
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by D-GCOB »

NEW UPDATE ON THE 370.23 in combination with the GIA63W SERIAL 011-01105-01

After all the hassle with the upgrade and downgrade procedure I received the information from a different Person in GARMIN, UK that the 370.23 software is 100% compatible with the -01 GIA.
So we gave it a second try – this time the installation went through without any problems (maybe during the last installation a LRU was busy and didn’t respond in time???). All Systems are working now properly – and the today’s flight confirmed that everything really works in practical as well.

Holdings, legal RNAV approaches without the URBE STC and plenty of nice new functions are all operational. Too bad that hardly anyone has any experience with this combination – and even Wiener Neustadt doesn’t have GIA’s with the -01 Serial to do tests from what I have heard.

Finally solved – if anyone has further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
Attachments
IMG_7140.jpg
IMG_7139.jpg
salim
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Salim
Aircraft Registration: FHVES
Airports: LFPN

Post by salim »

We had the upgrade performed today on sn86, equipped with -01 GIA63W as well.
Went well and no issues noted !
D-GCOB
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by D-GCOB »

Finally the OSB42-145 for the "Installation of SBAS Equipment and activation of SBAS" is out
Now the 10k€ URBE STC for EASA registered planes is no longer required.
Also both GIA's - the 011-01105-01 and 011-01105-20 units are now officially in the equipment list in combination with the 370.23 software.
Finally completed
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Great! The only problem remaining is locating 2nd hand GIA63W units :)
D-GCOB
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by D-GCOB »

...and here is the Garmin Cockpit Reference Guides for the all new 370.23

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-00406-08_a.pdf

and the Pilot's Guide:

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-00649-04_b.pdf
Flyboyamin
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Amin
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: SEMKR
Airports: ESGP

Post by Flyboyamin »

ememic99 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:50 am Great! The only problem remaining is locating 2nd hand GIA63W units :)
May I ask how and where we can purchase used GIA63W units?

I have been trying to upgrade to WAAS for almost 5 years with no luck!
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

Get in touch is Diamond Service (in Europe). T +43 2622 26700 1173 or maintenance@diamondaircraft.com. Ask them what is required to get in the queue for the program that was announced in 2020. The letter is near the top of the thread. Don't be surprised if you get referred around a bit. It may be managed by Customer Support in Europe. T +43 2622 26700 3333

Some advisories.
  • expressing interest isn't the same as making a commitment, perhaps with a deposit
  • ask if there is one queue or several, e.g. each DASC or region has its own; in theory, the program is centralized with one queue that is managed first-come (committed), first-served; if you sign up, find out your queue number.
  • in the context of this program, GIA63Ws become available only when another airplane gets the G1000 NXI "Phase II" upgrade. There may be increased motivation for this upgrade (and increased GIA63W availability) once the "Phase III" software update becomes available, hopefully by the end of 2022.
  • the pricing for the upgrade expired at the end of 2021 and hasn't been updated; the program is only available from Diamond, not from Garmin
  • the price point was set by splitting the cost of the NXI Phase II upgrade (not including labor); while the pricing approach likely wouldn't change, the cost of the enabling NXI Phase II upgrade likely has.
North American customers should contact Customer Support. Phone: +1 519 457 4041 Email: support-canada@diamondaircraft.com