2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gordon
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: VHTZI
Airports: YBNA

Park Brake issue

Post by Gordon »

Hi All,
Has anyone had an issue with the park brake sticking in the on position?

My 62 is being looked after by a flight school at the moment and they have had to get mechanics over twice to release the park brake. Something to do with the brake cable sleeve design. They said they had this issue with another 62 they operated previously.

I currently can't get to the aircraft myself due to COVID restrictions so any tips or advice appreciated!
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Re: Park Brake issue

Post by jast »

Yes, this is a know issue and can be fixed by a Diamond service center by adding a plastic tube close to the parking break release lever so that the metal wire doesn’t bend. Usually you can still release it if you first put pressure on the brakes and then release the parking break.
Gordon
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Gordon »

Thanks a lot! I'll follow up with the service centre.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

This is a known issue with DA62 brakes. Ours got so bad that when we towed the plane (using a quiet electric tug) we could hear the brakes "screeching" and squealing because they didn't release properly. The result is that our brake pads wore prematurely and the rotors got badly scored -- requiring expensive replacement of both.

I think Diamond modified the AFM to state that you must apply brake pressure with your feet on the pedals before releasing the parking brake. But we learned to simply stop using the parking brake altogether unless parking the plane on a sloped ramp; we hold the brakes with our feet whenever doing a run-up.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Gordon
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Gordon »

Thanks Dave, did you try the solution (plastic tube) mentioned by Jan in the above post?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Gordon wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:53 am Thanks Dave, did you try the solution (plastic tube) mentioned by Jan in the above post?
No -- I'd love to see it documented somewhere. Our Diamond service center never suggested this as a fix when they replaced our brake pads and rotors.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
janders
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jon
Aircraft Registration: N75RZ
Airports: KGYY

Post by janders »

Ugh. Literally just happened to me this afternoon. Set the brake while I was figuring out how to update the database (still not sure how to connect to FS510 WiFi...) the plane started to roll after 5-10 minutes and I pushed the pedals and noted the parking brake wouldn’t release. After trying to get it to release without success, bled the brake and got it to go back into the hangar but the brakes still wouldn’t release. I could see the Bowden cable flexing through the vent holes.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

N157DA wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:47 am Ugh. Literally just happened to me this afternoon. Set the brake while I was figuring out how to update the database (still not sure how to connect to FS510 WiFi...) the plane started to roll after 5-10 minutes and I pushed the pedals and noted the parking brake wouldn’t release. After trying to get it to release without success, bled the brake and got it to go back into the hangar but the brakes still wouldn’t release. I could see the Bowden cable flexing through the vent holes.
Not to be snarky, but is not the FS510 (as with the FS210) bluetooth, rather than Wifi? That could be your problem.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Post by jast »

FS510 is Bluetooth AND Wifi, but Wifi only for database updates. Wifi doesn‘t show up unless the Database concierge in the Garmin Pilot App is correctly configured and has an update pending. The „update pending“ trigger is then transferred via Bluetooth to the Fs510 and the Wifi is activated. It mostly works nicely, but I also had several hick-ups which forced to redo the process once or twice.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

jast wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:33 pm FS510 is Bluetooth AND Wifi, but Wifi only for database updates. Wifi doesn‘t show up unless the Database concierge in the Garmin Pilot App is correctly configured and has an update pending. The „update pending“ trigger is then transferred via Bluetooth to the Fs510 and the Wifi is activated. It mostly works nicely, but I also had several hick-ups which forced to redo the process once or twice.
OK, sorry
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5