3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: gary
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N175DA
Airports: KFMN

Sirius XM value vs ADSB free Wx

Post by gtmize »

https://ipadpilotnews.com/2020/07/ads-b ... oreFlight.

I've had Sirius XM since I began flying.. but reviewed my $75/month Sirius subscription to see if I can justify it given the new Free ADSB Wx products.
My conclusion is I'll keep XM after reviewing the above link.

Primary advantages is
1) Full Coverage nationwide since XM data is Sat not ground based (ADSB depends on ground stations so coverage depends on altitude .. can also be spotty in Mountains where I'm based. - none in Caribbean if you decide to go there
2) XM has more extensive Storm Cell Attributes .. I frequently fly along the Gulf Coast and frequently am dodging active cells
3) XM allows you to suspend subscription for up to 6 months during your Off Season

In the end its not much $ for my peace of mind while flying.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Re: Sirius XM value vs ADSB free Wx

Post by chili4way »

Gary, do you have the $11,000 ~4 lbs Sirius XM receiver installed in your aircraft and use the MFD for display, or do you have a portable receiver and use a tablet application?

Diamond MFD software (even NXI) does a better job of displaying Sirius XM weather products than it does for FIS-B weather products (missing the 2017 additions).
gtmize
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: gary
Aircraft Registration: N175DA
Airports: KFMN

Post by gtmize »

Paul,

The GDL 69 XM receiver comes with the G1000 so I didn't purchase it separately - it came with the plane ... it sources the Sirius XM
I purchased the GTX345R for ADSB $5,000 ADSB Out FAA requirement . it provides the ADSB Wx
So the cost for me for XM Wx is the montly $75 which includes optional XM Radio which i rarely use .. prob drop this but keep XM Wx
ZAV
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N387DS
Airports: KLEX

Post by ZAV »

Satellite weather is better at most things. The G1000 version I have displays more information from satellite weather than from FIS-B weather.

I always call Sirius XM and negotiate a better price by agreeing to pay for a year long subscription.
neema
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Neema
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N617DC
Airports: KFAT

Post by neema »

Maybe you can make an adjustment to the XM package you have. There's a $30 base package available.

https://www.siriusxm.com/servlet/Satell ... XM/Wrapper

I don't see a $75 package, but most of the additional features in the $60 mid-tier package are almost pointless on the MFD. Example: echo tops has huge altitude increments. Doesn't help in a non pressurized, non o2 plane when echo tops bounce between 10k and 15k feet.

Also, there are big voids of NEXRAD coverage in mountainous parts of the country, even with XM data.

I'd probably get rid of XM weather in a non-pressurized, non onboard radar plane if you had ADS-B in data. Without onboard radar, I'd want to see (with eyeballs) suspected convective weather, otherwise I'm driving all the way around it. In stable precip, I'd be looking for pireps (which you can get through ATC or FIS-B) of others passing through to see if it's a rough ride. Or check on freezing temps for icing.

I think XM and FIS-B data will both do a fine job of showing you where those returns or lightning strikes would be. Can't really go wrong with either, as long as you respect both as non-precision tools to get around.